i - christmas!

I woke up Christmas morning alone in my dorm. The girls had all gone home and though I missed them, but it was nice to have the dorm to myself for a little while. 

I jumped out of my bed, glancing at the clock. 6:48, it read. Ah, perfect timing. The boys would be awake in a little bit and surely they'd want to open presents together. And even if they didn't, I was going to force them. I had just enough time to set up the perfect family Christmas morning down in the Common Room. I wrapped a blanket around myself, my black and white buffalo check Christmas pajamas not keeping me as warm as I'd like. I grabbed my wand off my nightstand and quickly gathered the presents that had appeared at the foot of my bed last night. 

I walked down the stairs and tossed my packages on one of the couches by the fireplace. I pushed them around to create a more secluded area, knowing that there were a few other kids who hadn't gone home for Christmas either, and I wanted to make it feel more like home. I accio'd a couple of the blankets Mum had knitted for me and laid them out on the couches. I quickly bolted to the portrait, pushing it open and wishing the Fat Lady a happy Christmas. Suddenly, I stopped and rolled my eyes at myself. I forgot something. 

I accio'd the presents quickly before continuing to run down the corridor to the kitchens. I tickled the pear and entered the large room. After setting a few packages of Christmas cookies and woolen socks down under a small Christmas tree in the corner, I began making some hot chocolate. After it was made, I set the six mugs onto a platter along with a can of whipped cream and cast a simple charm to make it float behind me. 

I began to walk out of the kitchens when I heard the tray clatter to the floor behind me. I cursed under my breath and spun around, expecting to see the mugs shattered on the ground, but no, they were splattered and stuck to the wall. They weren't even broken, they were just shaking, trying to get through the wall, it seemed. I laughed lightly. My magic was wild sometimes, it just sucked that it had to happen again today. 

"Of all days," I whispered.

I chuckled lightly, waving my left hand in the air, my right clutching onto my wand still. The mugs began to drop to the floor, but after a sharp jab of my hand, they paused in the air. I set my wand on the counter, mumbling a quick, "scourgify." The hot chocolate began to clean itself up and I quickly boiled a new pot, willing the mugs and tray to set themselves onto the counter with a wave of my hand. It'd become a new skill and habit of mine to set my wand aside when trying to clean up my messes. I found that it was easier to control my restless magic without it. 

I poured more hot chocolate into the mugs, set the can of whipped cream back on the tray, and walked it to the Common Room, holding it instead of using magic to make it float behind me. I told the Fat Lady the password and entered the Common Room again, heading over to my makeshift living room. I pushed the coffee table away from the couch with my foot and set the tray onto it. Then, I turned and walked towards the boys' dorms. 

With both hands on the banister, I took my first step, expecting to immediately slide down. But, I didn't. I grinned and began jogging up the stairs. I assumed that the magic surrounding it knew that I just wanted to see my brothers, but I didn't bother to wonder how. It's magic after all. 

I got Percy first, dragging him along with me to get the twins. They were already up and excited to open presents. I told them all to go down stairs, but that they couldn't get started until we were all there together. The twins groaned and Percy just stared at me with tired eyes, yawning. I then grabbed Ron and Harry. 

"Happy Christmas, boys!" I shouted as I pulled them out of bed. Though they were tired at first, they got extremely excited when they saw the piles of presents at the feet of their beds. I helped them carry it all down and we all sat down, gathered around our respective pyramids of presents.