i - teenage mysteries

"No, you don't get it," I complained to Diana. "They've been together for six months and the whole time I've hated it."

"I'm sorry to say this, Mars, but it's not about how you feel about it, it's about how they feel about it," Cedric said softly. I looked up at him from where my head was positioned on Diana's lap as we sat under a tree. 

"Don't you think I know that?" I groaned.

"I actually don't agree," Diana said. "You're his best friend. You know him better than anyone and so if you feel like it's a bad relationship then he should listen to you."

"Except that's not what she's talking about," Cedric replied for me. 

"How do you know that?" I mumbled.

"Because I know you better than anyone-"

"Except me."

"We all know each other well," he continued, shooting a light glare to Diana for interrupting him. "We know that you have feelings for him. Obviously, he can't see that because he doesn't want to see that. Just like you don't want to see that he has feelings for you too."

"Except he doesn't," I disagreed. "Because he has a girlfriend. A really annoying one at that."

"She's only annoying because you like her boyfriend," Ced laughed.

"She's annoying because she's mean," Diana objected. "Have you ever met her?"

"I can't say I have," he replied.

"Lucky. She just says things that are so ambiguous as to whether or not she's being nice or not. I've learned that most of the time, she means it in a twat kind of a way," she explained.

"Very true," I agreed. I sighed. "I'm sorry for complaining guys."

"It's all good, we understand," Diana said, combing her fingers through my hair. "You listen to our problems." We both glanced at Cedric. "Well, you listen to my problems."

"Cedric doesn't have any problems," I giggled. "Well, except for that major crush that Anoriah Bulstrode has on him."

"I don't understand," he groaned. "It's always Slytherins. Why do Slytherins like Hufflepuffs so much?"

"I don't know, Ced," I said. 

"It's your curse," Diana shrugged. I glanced at my watch and quickly sat up. 

"Damn," I muttered. "I'm gonna be late for practice."

"I thought practice started at two? It's one?" Diana asked. 

"Me and Oliver go an hour early to get in extra and to set up," I replied, gathering my things. "I'll see you guys later."

"Bye Mars!"

"Bye Mars!"

Alysa kissed Oliver chastely before letting him go. I swear she glared at me as she pulled him in for another one.

"I've got to go, but I'll see you later," she told him. I continued walking up to him.

"Oliver, ready to go?" I asked, propping my bag up on my shoulder. He looked back to me and nodded, grinning. 

"Yup! I'll be just a minute," he said. 

"Alright," I nodded. 

"I'll see you later," he said to Alysa. It looked like she was preparing to lean in for another kiss, but astonishingly, he pulled away before she could even get close to his face. He nodded to me, walking in the direction of the quidditch pitch. "C'mon Mars!"