iii - sandy man

"Harry!" I cried, running straight into the compartment. He was passed out on the seat and I quickly kneeled next to him. I analyzed him for any wounds and upon seeing none, I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Mara!" Hermione exclaimed in relief, kneeling next to me and wrapping her arms around my shoulders. She was shaking. I hugged her back and looked over her shoulder at my flabbergasted little brother.

"How did you get here so fast?" Ronald asked, his eyebrows knitted in confusion, his eyes wide. 

"I had a feeling," I replied. It was only then that I noticed there was someone else in the room. A tall man with sandy blonde hair and scars covering his face was sat across from Harry, his amber eyes watching me in what seemed to be confusion and amazement. A sense of familiarity filled my chest, though I didn't know why. I shifted Hermione in my arms and sat up straighter. "Who are you?"

"Remus Lupin," he answered. 

I nodded at the collapsed boy to my side. "You saved him?"

"Enough," he said. I furrowed my brows.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Ron asked quickly.

"He'll be tired and confused, but he's alright," Lupin answered. 

"It just came around the hallway-"

"And just came straight for Harry?" I cut Hermione off with my assumption. She nodded slowly, pulling away from me to look at me fully. 

"Yes... how did you know?" She asked.

"It was a dementor. Terrible creatures, but curious. They feed off of painful memories and feelings and unfortunately for Harry, he's got plenty," I replied. Lupin stared at me for a few seconds, the gears in his mind turning.

"You were the one who casted the patronus charm in the other car," he assumed. 

"That was you?" Hermione asked. I nodded hesitantly. They must have seen the light.

"Yes," I said. "Unfortunately for me, I've also got some of that."

"Who did you say you were again?" Lupin asked. I turned back to him.

"Mara," I said. 

"Mara what?" He furthered. 

"She's my sister," Ron said. 

"So, you're a Weasley?" Lupin asked. "Didn't know they had two daughters."

"Ginny was a surprise," I replied cheekily.

"So, would it be you I've heard about from Arthur? The Chaser?" He asked.

"Best in a century," I boasted, though I knew it wasn't true. I've seen Puddlemere's Chasers and I certainly didn't compare to them at all.

"So I've heard," he agreed. "A prefect as well. Your parents must be proud."

The comment caught me off guard a little bit and I hesitated to respond. So, I just ignored it.

"So, you've heard about me, I would like to know a bit about you. Normally adults don't ride the train so I can assume you're a new teacher. Defense Against the Dark Arts?"

"Yes," he nodded. "I'm the new professor."

"You go here before? Most teachers just floo to Hogwarts, but you seem to want the train experience," I said. 

"Yes. I was a Gryffindor," he replied. 

"Me too," I said. That's when Harry decided to wake up. He sat up groggily, rubbing his head and adjusting his glasses. I immediately kneeled at his side. Lupin pulled a bar of chocolate from his robe and broke a piece off, offering it to the boy.