Chapter Nine

Carson welcomed me into his apartment with open arms and a kiss on the forehead. "Honey, this is the craziest shit I've ever heard and I can't believe I didn't think of it for a movie or something. It would make a load of money. Think of it, a romantic comedy with the two most attractive and funny actors they could find."

"So who would play you?" I asked mocking my own pain.

"The guy who played the twins in the social media movie. I so look like him, but I'm more endowed."

I grimaced. "Not a visual I need right now, sweetie," I informed. He led me to the living room.

"Can I fix you a drink?" He asked as I sat down on the plush couch.

"No, thank you. I don't think I would be able to stop if I start. Where's Turner?"

"He's showering. I don't know how he can wear a suit all day in this heat. I'll be back and bring you water." I sat down on the plush couch. Carson had sat with me after my breakup with Matt. Now, we were to strategize our reunion, of sorts.

"Dinner will be ready in half an hour, so we can talk in the meantime. How are you holding up?" The concern in his voice was evident.

"I feel like the main character in a mob movie. I want to move on and live life without him, but he pulls me back in. He can't deal with my independence. He doesn't want any other man to be with me. He has to win at all cost."

"But do you love him?"

"Of course, I love him, but that isn't the point."

"Isn't it?" He paused. "It's because you do love him you're not more irate and haven't gone off the deep end after receiving this information. You love him. He loves you. He has an insane way of showing it, but it's obvious." I bit down on my cheek, listening to Carson's take on the situation.

Stella had enlightened me about Matt's insane way of showing his love. Maybe, Stella was part of his plan to warn me, after all.

Turner made an appearance and walked over to me. He sat down next to me and pulled me close for a hug. He kissed my temple and asked, "How are you doing?" I shrugged.

"I'd be better if you two were bisexual and we'd be in a polyamorous relationship right now." They chuckled at my quip. "You laugh, but I wouldn't have to be dealing with a possessive ex-boyfriend."

"No wonder he loves you," Turner responded. "You're adorable and funny."

I grimaced. "Can we get down to business, so we can eat dinner without this being a topic of conversation while we eat?" My favorite men nodded, and I removed my list from my purse. Turner reviewed my requirements, and we discussed the terms based on the prenup Zipper had sent to Turner.

I wasn't surprised the prenuptial agreement was the size of an atlas. Matt had a lot of terms. His assets and liabilities would quickly return to him upon our marriage. He wouldn't deprive me of any rights to his fortune while married. I would have access to his properties and as much money as I desired, however, it clearly spelled out I was to portray and behave myself like the loving wife as would normally have occurred between us had our relationship not been created through lies and deceit. Part of being a loving wife included having children. The thought of having children in a forced marriage sickened me, but it wouldn't be a loveless marriage—that was for certain.

We finished within enough time to have a great dinner without any discussion of the hostile relationship takeover. Carson shared the details of their wedding in October in Rhode Island. A low-key affair with less than fifty people to be held at his parent's estate in Newport. I was ecstatic.

Carson showed me pictures of concepts and swatches of fabrics. I'm still the best gal, standing up for Carson, and Turner's brother, Breton, would be his best man. I've seen pictures of Breton, who was as handsome as Turner—married to his high school sweetheart and engineer by profession. Carson asked for my help with taste testing in a month.

I tried to maintain my focus on all he was saying, but selfishly my issues kept occupying my mind. I never anticipated getting married anytime soon, and certainly not before Carson, much less so in thirty days to a man who was buying my hand in marriage. Though, I still loved Matt. And probably always would, even without the gift, proposal, and quickie ceremony.