Chapter Forty Eight

The buzzer rang early Saturday morning and I dragged myself out of bed. I'd told Gill he needn't come by to help with the cleanup. The caterers weren't due to come by until after eleven in the morning. After a call from the guards, I would've had to give them permission to come up. I looked through the peephole, heeding Faith's words to be safe at all times. I was stunned to see Matt on the other side. I wiped my eyes and chin. He knew I liked to sleep in on Saturdays, so I believed he showed up to catch me off guard. My heart beat fast as I unlocked the door. 

I left a small opening to determine what he wanted. "Matt? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Can I come in?" he asked.

After last night, I wasn't sure we could be trusted to be together in a private setting, making me hesitate. Faith had a great idea to meet out in the open in a restaurant. I stepped aside to let him in then locked the door after he entered. I noticed he had a brown paper bag in his hand, which he set down on the kitchen island.

"I just woke up, so if you'd give me some time to freshen up?" My voice was raspy after a deep sleep.

"Yes, of course. I know it's early," he said evenly.

"Have a seat. I'll be right back." I racked my fingers over my curls, hoping they weren't as much of a mess of frizz as they felt around my neck and back. I rushed to my primary bath to brush my teeth, wash my face, and fix my hair in a low, tousled French twist with a clip. I drank some water to moisten my dry mouth and calm my quaking insides. 

Barefoot, I walked back quietly to the living room. I found Matt standing by the picture window. It was very bright and sunny outside. My canopied bed had blocked the light, which made it harder for my eyes to adjust when I heard the initial buzzing of my door.

"I'm back," I said. 

Matt turned to look at me. He gave me a hopeful smile. Dressed in fresh jeans and a navy blue t-shirt, he held a shy pose, hands tucked in the pockets of his jeans. Inside of the fresh shave he'd been sporting since returning back from Spain, his five o'clock shadow filled his beard with flecks of salt and pepper. His dimples greeted me, halting my breath. 

"I think it's time for us to have a heart-to-heart." When he mentioned heart, my own skipped a few beats. It was as if he had an extrasensory perception that we needed to be honest with each other. 

I lowered my head and I sat down on the couch. "Okay." I folded my arms around myself.

He sat opposite me, allowing space between us. With a low voice, he said, "I'm sorry for last night . . . I didn't do right by you. I fucked up. You didn't deserve to be treated like that." I was shocked by his apology and admission. I shivered at the indelible memory of us fucking in the hallway.

"I have no excuse. I just hope you'll forgive me. I know we're no longer together. I don't expect us to get back together, but I'd like to at least be civil. We still have to have a professional relationship for the sake of Pentagon. I know we both have the company's best interest at heart. Maybe, one day, we can be friends." 

I pondered his offer. I knew I couldn't just be friends. "I don't want to be friends, Matt," I confessed. His gaze dropped before he turned away. "I want more but if civility and friendship are all you're looking for, then I think it's best to not see each other again." 

He looked confused. "Wait. You want to be with me?" I nodded in response. "And you won't take anything less?" I nodded once more. 

In an instant, Matt pounced on me, grabbing me with his muscular arms. I yelped in surprise. He held me tight to his body. He planted a trail of kisses along my jaw until he met my lips. His large hands held my head in place for a deep, lingering kiss.