Chapter Thirty Four

I went shopping for a few outfits for my new role at Pentagon. I frequently looked over my shoulder for the kidnapper I knew was still out there, possibly still trying to get me. It was the first time I could shop with reckless abandon, but I contained myself and ensured to buy mix and match pieces to hold me over for a few weeks until my next pay period. Despite my ordeal with my breakup and the kidnapping attempt, I had maintained my full figure, which Matt delighted in my curves. But I had to dress for myself, proffer a professional appearance, and whenever my heart decided to heal, return to dating. 

At the makeup counter and a sweet woman with a flawless face helped me. She understood my need for full coverage to hide the discolorations around my facial bruising, swelling, and some of the small cuts on the side of my face which would eventually remain as small scars. After a full tutorial on how to cover and enhance my features, I purchased the makeup she used and a few new brushes.

With several bags of dresses, intimates, and a couple of pairs of shoes later, I returned to Carson's place for a late lunch. I needed some rest. My cell phone rang, but I missed the call as I was opening the guest room to hang my new things. I was nervous as to who was calling me. For a split second, I thought it could be Matt calling from an unrecognizable line. Taking my chances, I returned the call.

"Hello, Ms. Mercurio?" A male voice answered.

"Yes?" I asked.

"Ms. Mercurio, my name is Gill Harty. I'm your new personal assistant. I'm calling to introduce myself before you start in the morning."

"Hi, Gill. Thank you for connecting. I look forward to working with you. Is there something I can help you with?"

"I'm putting the final touches on your office. Is there anything you may need?" 

I couldn't think of much. "I'm sure there will be the necessary things like a computer or a laptop, right?"

"Yes. When you come in I will have everything ready. Your executive assistant Andrea will take care of scheduling, travel, and reimbursements. I will take care of your personal and private needs. I'll pretty much be on call for you." I was impressed and delighted at having a personal assistant. "When you arrive, our security tech will work with you to give your building access and clearances. Our network tech will give you network and internet access, and provide you with an executive cellphone."

"Oh? I already have a phone."

"Yes, Ms. Mercurio, but you need an executive phone for security purposes. It's secured for the protection of company information."

"Yes of course—rookie mistake. And Gill, call me Perla." I offered. His laughter was low but no less hearty.

"Yes, of course. Well, unless there is anything I can do for you today, I look forward to seeing you in the office. What time do you think you'll be in?"

"I'm thinking about 8:30 in the morning if that works for you."

"I arrive to work by 8:00 a.m. I just want to tell Andrea and ensure we get you started with your schedule. There's a lot to do and many things that will need your attention."

"I'm looking forward to it, Gill."

"Until tomorrow, Perla." I smiled as I hung up, thinking if I could maintain just one ally at Pentagon, I could make my time there very successful.