Chapter Thirty Six

The rest of the morning was filled with familiarizing myself with Pentagon's facility, policy, and practices through human resources video sessions. Gill bought me a salad with grilled chicken and a latte for lunch. I'd never had anyone cater to my needs and whims in a professional setting, and I became spoiled very fast. Gill and I got along very well. Andrea was a bit standoffish. Gill told me it was her natural behavior and not to take it personally. She had been moved from another executive's area to work for me, and she wasn't happy about the move.

The three of us sorted my schedule for the next week. There were several large Pentagram design meetings I would have to attend. I was also scheduled to visit the construction site. I was excited about the tour. My ex-husband, Ben, would take me to the construction sites at the beginning of our relationship. When my role evolved in the company to take over their budget office, there wasn't enough time to take trips to the builds.

Gill received a notification of a dinner board meeting scheduled in a couple of weeks. It would be the first time I was to meet with the Pentagon men. However, there was no indication Matt would be in attendance. Zipper requested a one-on-one meeting with me for the following week. The agenda was to determine how things were going since starting at Pentagon. I figured none of the other Pentagon men wanted to associate with me, and by default, Zipper took over—which was fine by me as Zipper was the least terrible man out of the whole lot.

By the time I finished sifting and sorting documents and paperwork related to Pentagram, it was already six thirty in the evening. I'd let Gill leave at five despite his protestations he could stay longer. Andrea left promptly at four-thirty and didn't even bother to ask if I needed anything before she left. I didn't pay much mind to her because I was delightfully engaged in the work. I felt more productive than I had in years. 

Pentagram was shaping out to be a spectacular project. I had received approvals for all of my design ideas, but for the waterpark in the Light Tower's pool area. I was told I needed to find a design firm capable of coming into an already blueprinted project. None of Pentagon's design firms, like Gram Designs, were experienced in the field. Gill researched and contacted a design firm in California renowned for adventure and play structures, willing to send a designer to Boston to meet with a few architects and construction personnel. We scheduled every one to meet at a previously scheduled design meeting. I was excited to hold my first big meeting, despite my running back to back.

I picked up my things and headed toward the elevators. It was eerily quiet. I chastised myself for leaving so late when the floor would be empty. The only inhabitants were the cleaning crew. I bid them good night in Spanish and saw their eyes twinkle in acknowledgment for use of their native tongue. 

When the elevator arrived quickly, I smiled at the memory of the slow elevator at Matt's apartment. It took forever to reach his floor, and we'd do wicked things to each other as we waited. His intense kisses had left me breathless. By the time the bell dinged its arrival, we'd be breathless and impossibly aroused. 

The recollections were sweet but hurt profoundly. My gut churned and I swallowed the bitterness that collected in my mouth. 

When I bid the guards good night, I was stopped by one of the guards.

"Ms. Mercurio," he called out. "There's a car waiting to take you home." I looked at him, perplexed.

"I was just going to take the bus," I responded.

"No, ma'am. We have strict orders. Executives leaving after six in the evening are to be chauffeured home for their safety. It's a courtesy service." He was stern and didn't take no for an answer. 

I nodded and followed him to the sleek black car parked right outside of the building. When the driver saw us exit the front doors, he hopped out of the driver's side and jogged around to open the passenger door. He was a young guy, tall and fit.

"Good evening, Ms. Mercurio. I'm Manny. I'll be driving you tonight and any night you leave the office at a late hour." 

I smiled to be polite, but I couldn't help but be concerned about being driven. I didn't want to relinquish control to another driver. I gave him Carson's address and within minutes we were off in heavy traffic toward the Sheldrake.

"Manny?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"How often do you drive the executives around?" I wondered if I was an exception and not the rule.

"Very often. You are one of few women I've driven home. I think there are only two at the corporation."

"How long have you worked for the company?"

"This is my second year. I'm happy to work there. They're a great company to work for. I have a young family. My son is three and I have a girl, eight months, so the benefits come in handy during this economic downturn." 

"Great to hear it, Manny. I'd like for you to drive me the rest of the week if other execs don't need you. I'll probably be leaving same time every day until I move into my apartment within walking distance."

"I'll give you my number when we stop and you can call me at least ten minutes before you want to leave." I nodded. We talked about his family, passing the time as we traveled down the busy road.

In no time, we made it to the Sheldrake. Manny opened my door and gave me his hand to step out of the car. He handed me a business card with his phone number. I made a mental note to save his number in my contacts. 

With my bags in hand, I made my way to Carson and Turner's apartment, grateful I had a successful day at my job. The only void I felt was not arriving home to spend the night with a lover. Matt, most especially.

REBOUND Readers...

I added a bonus scent to Rebound, Boundless Series, Book 1 at the end of the book. It's called First Night. Because the first book has so much sex between the budding couple, I needed to cut back. I had one complaint about this scene that reverberates in my mind. When you start off as a writer, you're extremely sensitive. I've grown a thicker skin since, and so I'm glad to bring it to you here. 

As always, please vote, comment, follow, and add the Boundless Series to your Reading List

As always, please vote, comment, follow, and add the Boundless Series to your Reading List. Thank you so much for taking a chance on my work. 

https://www.wattpad.com/1261731199-rebound-boundless-series-book-1-first-night