Chapter Fifty Two

MATT

"I thought things were over with you two," Brady asked when Perla walked out of the room. Little did Brady know I knew him very well and could tell when he was pissed.

"It's a wonderful thing when two people in love can put aside their differences and hurt to talk to each other, and finally reveal all the things they've gone through. Perla and I had time to talk and hash out everything. She explained a lot of things. Revealed many truths, and ultimately, we decided we're much better together than we are apart. I don't want to live without her and she doesn't want to live without me." I watched him, assessing his reaction to my statement. He was steadfast. However, he reached for his tumbler filled with an amber liquid.

"I'm very lucky she could forgive my part in the taking of her interests in Liberty Inn."

"What about the sex tape, Matt? How can you forgive her for blackmailing you and us with the tape?" Kent asked.

"Funny thing about the tape, Kent, Perla told me who gave it to her." I looked Kent square in the eye, avoiding Brady.

"She was asked to sell the shares for a large sum of money, which she never accepted. She turned the blackmail around and used it to her advantage. She tried to protect my shares by keeping them and she hoped to spend the time working at Pentagon to learn why her blackmailer wanted to hurt me so bad. A few weeks ago she was in a car crash when a taxi driver took her way past her destination. We believe she was kidnapped, and the kidnapping was foiled by a bodyguard I placed on her. It may have to do with the shares she kept and the job she created for herself. We believe the same person who blackmailed her was involved in trying to take her out." I looked at Brady. 

He looked right back at me but didn't show any emotion. He didn't take the opportunity to admit his involvement in trying to take my shares.

"Who blackmailed her?" Zipper asked with concern in his voice.

"I was hoping the person in this room who blackmailed her would admit it since there is no way he'll get my shares."

"You're claiming Perla was threatened by one of us?" Lark quickly stated. "Matty, it wasn't me. I didn't like how she kept the shares, but I didn't try to hurt her," Lark denied. 

Kent shook his head. "Man, I had nothing to do with your girl being blackmailed with a sex tape. Her text was the first I heard or saw it," Kent stated.

"I know Lark. Kent..." I assured both by looking at them square in the eyes. "I trust you."

"Then it leaves Brady because Zip would never do that to you," Kent accused, turning his gaze on the man who tried to destroy my life.

We all started at Brady who looked green, but remained quiet. He kept his vision squarely on his drink.

"You know I helped build this business. I was the one instrumental in us making money, so I was surprised to learn the man I thought was a lifelong friend would hurt me by ensuring I not be with the woman I . . ."

"You don't know what fucking love is," Brady said. He shocked me into silence.

"What are you talking about? She's the one. I told all of you many times."

"She may be the one, but I've loved her for eighteen years." I stood up, anger rising from deep within. Zipper put a hand on my arm to stop me from pouncing on him.

"What do you mean you've been in love with her? She doesn't even know you."

"You mean she doesn't remember me. But I've known her since she was ten when my mother used to take care of her mother." I sat back down.