Chapter Twenty One

I slept in on Saturday morning. The lack of sleep from the last couple of days took its toll, and the melatonin I had taken helped me sleep throughout the night. After freshening up from a deep sleep, I made myself some brunch. I decided to go for a walk to burn off some energy before tonight's encounter with the Pentagon men.

A stroll around the Naval Yard was exactly what I needed to strengthen my resolve. I'd always dreamed of buying a condo in the Yard with a view of the water. A two-bedroom apartment with a balcony was a dream and would remain a fantasy until I figured out my reality. The walk gave me perspective on how to proceed with my future. I made a list of my needs and wants. My wants outnumbered my needs, and I realized I had to be pragmatic about my true necessities. I couldn't get greedy. Despite Brady's generous offer, I knew my losses were innumerable and priceless.

When I returned home from my long walk, I spent the late afternoon preparing for the evening's events when I would meet with the Pentagon men. My outfit had to be professional enough to mean business when speaking to them, and flirty for dancing with Carson and Turner.

Wearing a little black dress, peep toe red heels, and dramatic red lipstick, I stepped into Quario's for the meeting with the other Pentagon shareholders. I pulled my long, curly tresses to lay in front of my shoulders. I needed a veil to protect me from the encounter I was about to have with the Pentagon men, who set out to destroy me. 

Zipper had assured me all the men would be there, which meant I had to confront Matt once again. Their meeting would consist of Matt's gift to me of his shares. It would be his last official Pentagon meeting with him as a board member.

I had to bury my fears and heartache caused by my obligatory rejection of Matt's offer of marriage. 

Matt's look of shock and heartbreak along with his words of defeat still haunted me. He didn't believe me when I told him I wasn't going to marry him, keeping his shares rather than have his love. Now, I had to pretend, in front of his friends that I was the gold digger Brady had branded me. 

Worst of all, I had to see Brady again—the contemptible man who blackmailed me. 

The hostess led me to a private room in the restaurant. From the paneled wall of windows, I watched the men as they sat at a round table. She opened one of the double doors and allowed me entry. One by one, each man stopped speaking as soon as I entered the room. 

Matt stood up and walked toward me. The anger was evident on his face. It was obvious he wasn't warned about my presence tonight. His eyes narrowed at me and glared with a coldness that caused me to tremble. My mother called shivers, 'la muerte pequeña', meaning 'little death', which was quite appropriate. I wanted to die in Matt's company. 

"What the hell are you doing here?" Matt asked. I felt gutted by his tone. The anger in his face was frightening. I used his anger as fuel to be strong enough to proceed.

I put on a brave face and plastered a rigid smile. "I'm here to meet with the Pentagon men. Isn't that expected of me now I'm twenty percent owner of the Pentagon shares?" I asked calmly, but my heart raced and my insides churned with anxiety.

"No. You were expected to be here as my fiancée, but you're not and you're not welcome at our dinner. Please leave." He grabbed my arm, pulling me away. I jerked my arm away, and he released his grip.

"I'm not going anywhere, Matt. If you're uncomfortable with my being here, then maybe you should leave for the brief time I'm here to talk to my partners. Since you have nothing to do with the corporation anymore, you're not needed here." He flinched as my mouth went dry with my caustic words, but I couldn't let up the indifferent act I directed at him. I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and I had no way to turn.