Chapter Twenty

Carson called me. "What the hell did you do, Perla?" He asked with annoyance. "Turner's angry you never revealed your intentions." I could hear him pacing and slapping his thighs. He must've been outdoors because I could hear the wind through the cell phone reception.

"You ambushed all of them. All the hours and expense to get the prenuptial just right, not to mention Turner's reputation as a respectable lawyer, were wasted when in one fell swoop, you rejected it all and chose the one thing you claimed you never wanted; a connection to Pentagon." He accused.

"I'm sorry Carson. I never meant to disappoint and hurt Turner, much less you."

"Then why?"

"I decided I needed to do what was best for me. In the grand scheme of things, it was best for Matt too." I heard Carson suck his tongue, and I sensed he must've rolled his eyes, as well. I couldn't tell him I was being blackmailed with a sex tape of me and Matt, which caused my change of mind.

"I apologize. I will pay Turner handsomely for his help with the negotiations and for ensuring I get the shares."

"Perla, I don't care about that. Well, you better pay Turner. But I'm worried about you. Do you think these men will allow you to keep those shares? If they got you to lose your job at Brassi and end your marriage to Ben, then take Liberty, What do you think they'd do with you keeping the Pentagon shares?" He had a point, but I wasn't going to make Carson privy to my ultimate decision about the stock.

"I'll be fine. Carson, I have to go. I'm at work. I'll give you more details soon."

"Are you still going dancing with us on Saturday?" I had forgotten about my plans to go to the club when I wanted to forget about Matt before we reconciled. And I needed the outing more now after breaking up with him again.

"If you two will have me, sure," I offered meekly.

"Sweetie, of course, we want you to go. See you Saturday." I assured him I would arrive at the club. We hung up.

Within the hour, Chelsea knocked on my office door. I really didn't want to have to discuss it with her. "How'd it go?"

"Umm. As well as it could go." I responded.

"Oh, really? Carson told me everything. He called me first because you'd pissed so many people off by your actions."

"Sue me," I said sarcastically.

She frowned, clearly unamused. She sat down. "What are you doing?"

"What do you mean?" I asked coyly.

"Stop the bullshit, Perla. You were going to marry Matt. You were ready to sign on the dotted line. Everyone was rallying behind you and hoping for the best. And then you pull this shit in the last minute. What happened?"

"Nothing happened. I came to a decision. I didn't want to be in this marriage and I deserve the shares as a consolation prize for his behavior."

"Don't you love him?"

"It's not a matter of love. It's a matter of me getting what is mine. I own his shares. It's my business." Hoping she'd get the literal meaning.

"They're not going to accept this or you, Perla. You've started a war." I grimaced and rolled my eyes.

"I didn't," I said as I waved a dismissive hand.

"If you think those men are going to accept you're keeping those stocks, you're delusional," she shouted.

"I'm not going to keep the stocks."

"What do you mean you're not going to keep the stocks?" She looked at me warily. I took a moment to respond.

"I'm going to get what I need from those stocks and then I'm done with Pentagon," I revealed.

"I hope you've thought this through. You sound sure, but have you had enough time to really think about this whole situation?" She stood up from the chair and walked toward the door. "Good luck." She said annoyed.

I was conflicted by her disappointment, but this was my battle to be fought. She had no understanding of all I'd been through, and part of me blamed her for letting him take me to his home. The one-night stand turned into a clusterfuck I needed to rein in.

The rest of my day was a blur. I went home and ate a quiet dinner alone. The lament of being alone for the rest of my life was disconcerting. I received a text message from Kevin Zipperer, which alerted me to an emergency meeting at Quario's Trattoria on Saturday evening. All the men would be there. I assumed it was due to my keeping the shares. Matt would have to explain himself to the group and introduce me as the new shareholder. 

It was necessary for Matt to hear me address the group.

My time would be short, only making my point and then leaving. I responded with a request for each man's cell phone number, and within a few minutes, Zipper responded with the final three men's cell phone number. I already had Brady's number, but Zipper didn't need to know that. I had to be on my game when meeting with the Pentagon men.