Chapter Nineteen

When I woke up in the morning, I remembered I'd stayed over at Carson and Turner's apartment. Matt was disappointed I wouldn't sleep over at his place. I hadn't allowed him to take me to Carson and Turner's place after work. And he was displeased that I prevented him from picking me up in the morning. Overall, he was annoyed by my avoiding him. I couldn't physically bring myself to see him before the prenuptial signing meeting.

I had a choice to make before signing the prenuptial contract, and my decision wouldn't be helped by seeing Matt as I tried to choose between marrying him and going against Brady's threats or keeping his shares thereby rejecting his marriage proposal. I couldn't return the Pentagon shares, knowing that Brady wanted to take them from Matt. I barely slept last night. My body throbbed, but mostly my heart ached with the pain of regret and indecision.

When I walked out of the guest room, fully dressed for the meeting, toward the kitchen and found Carson preparing me a plate of egg and toast. "Morning, beautiful." He greeted, dressed in a simple black t-shirt and dark jeans. His body was simply a work of art and every ripple of his muscles showed in his clothing. "How'd you sleep?"

"I guess the question should've been, "Did you sleep?" I smirked.

"It's all settled. You're going to sign, marry a doctor, and live happily ever after with your billions of dollars. Why couldn't he have been a gay man?" Carson sighed and seemed to genuinely lament the fact Matt was a very heterosexual male. I shook my head and stuck out my tongue.

"I'd trade places with you any day. I'd marry a very successful lawyer who bails out all my loved ones, especially me." I exhaled noisily with a groan.

"Speaking of lawyer, he'll be ready soon. Apparently, everything is ready at the firm, but there are a couple of things Turner wanted to tighten up to ensure you're completely satisfied with the results." Carson offered in explanation.

I nodded and started eating. He handed me a mug of coffee and placed the creamer and sugar beside it for me to prepare. Adding just sugar, I stirred the coffee and admitted, "I'm scared." I thought of all the scenarios which would forever change me.

"Sweetie . . ." He sighed and took my free hand in his. "You'll be fine. You two have decided how this relationship will proceed from here on out. You won't need to do anything, but show up with a dress and say your vows, which was your choice, by the way." He said with a hint of disappointment in his voice, reminding me of the 'no family or friends at the wedding' clause. It meant Carson and Turner couldn't be witnesses to the spectacle.

"I'm sparing myself and others from this farce." I reminded him.

"Those of us who adore you won't be there for support. And you love him, so it isn't a farce, really," he chided.

Turner arrived in the kitchen and stood beside me. He looked as dapper as ever in his lightweight suit and tie. His sandy brown hair was styled neatly. He was clean-shaven and smelled so crisp and summery. I inhaled deeply as I mustered a smile upon seeing his image. His presence was the reality of what I was about to do this morning.

"Ready?" He inquired with a smile, which was a combination of grim and hope. I nodded. We both kissed Carson chastely and took off to Kevin Zipperer's midtown law office.

As we commuted by cab to the meeting, I felt caged in the slow-moving vehicle. The traffic was horrendous, and I wished we'd taken the 'T'. Turner was too refined for such things. He belonged in a town car driven by a driver at his beck and call. He was extremely gracious, typical of a Southern man. However, there was an air of self-righteousness, which came naturally from his upbringing.

Turner placed his hand over my fist, which I'd rubbed on my lap. "You keep rubbing up against that dress, you're liable to start a fire, darlin'." He said casually. I bought the capped-sleeved, wrap dress on sale at a store in Downtown Crossing. I purchased a new pair of underwear. I put on the same sandals I wore to work the day before.