Chapter Forty One

At the end of the day, I entered the elevator to walk the few blocks home. My feet ached, and I remembered I slipped my flats into my briefcase. I took one heel off and slipped on a flat. As I proceeded to do the same with the other, the elevator halted on the eighteenth floor. A blonde woman entered the elevator and looked at the panel. She stood back when she realized the lobby level had already been pressed. I proceeded to put on my other flat.

"Best time of the day is when the heels come off," She said looking at me.

"Definitely, sometimes, I can't believe I can walk around in them all day," I held my heels in my hand.

"I'm Faith Grogin," She offered her hand in greeting.

"Hi, I'm Perla Mercurio." She smiled.

"Nice to meet you. I've seen you walking to work. Do you walk in the morning? I think we live in the same building."

"Yeah, I remember seeing you this weekend. I think we shared an elevator." I recalled. She smiled. "So you work here?" I asked.

"Yes. I'm an attorney at Leptor and Michaels. And you?"

"I'm a VP at Pentagon Group."

"It's nice to meet you, Perla. I'm happy to walk with someone. There's safety in numbers walking in the city."

"I detect a hint of an accent. You must not be from Boston."

"No. I'm from Texas. Waco. I've been here a few weeks. It's been an interesting experience being in this city." She said as we exited the elevator.

The guard said "good night" to both of us without haranguing me about taking the executive car. Faith and I talked all the way to our building. It was comfortable to connect with her as two professional women. When we arrived at the elevators, Faith asked if we could walk to and from work whenever I planned on going in and walking home. She said she was still a bit unsure about walking alone as a single woman. 

After my kidnapping attempt, which I didn't reveal to the non-native Bostonian, I agreed to inform her. We exchanged numbers and I agreed to meet her every morning in the lobby and would call her at the end of the day on the days I'd planned to walk from work. If I didn't call her to leave, she would be on her own. We parted when the elevator arrived on the eighth floor, and Faith exited by saying good night. I sent a text to Gill, adding Faith to the housewarming party Gill planned for the end of the week. Faith was sweet and kind, and having one more friend was necessary to make it in this big, lonely city.

When the elevators closed, I felt everything was falling into place. I was living a life I'd never imagined before. I entered my beautiful apartment, locked my door, and immediately threw everything down and undressed as I walked to my bedroom. I grabbed my comfy long shirt and put it over my unsupported breasts, and only my panties for bottoms. I reheated some leftovers from the fridge and ate while watching some mind-numbing television.

Without a doubt, my mind wandered to the mind-blowing make-out session Matt and I had. I could still feel his hard body under me. Matt's new look took me by surprise, but his smell and taste were the same, reminding me of the extraordinary times we had spent together. My folds quivered, thinking about how softly his fingers caressed them. I would've loved for him to have caressed my clit or thrust his fingers inside of me, curving them to bring me to climax. 

I needed a release.

"Damn it!" I declared, turning off the screen and planting the remote on the coffee table. I didn't want to feel this way. Matt had a way of leaving a long-lasting impression. Neither time nor distance was able to polarize the magnetic pull we had toward each other. And I had to find a way to sever the intense attraction.