Birthday Parties, Part 2

"Hey, kid. Wait a minute, okay?" Lorelai said to her daughter as Rory got out of the car. Frankie looked at her mother, confused, but nodded and returned to her seat in the back of the Jeep. The two sat in the car and watched Rory walk up the stairs and into the house before Lorelai spoke again. "You both got into it with my mother tonight, huh?"

Frankie shrugged. She didn't know what to say in response.

Lorelai sighed, turning in her seat to look at her youngest. "Frankie, I know your sister going to Chilton has been tough on you. And I'm sorry I haven't been more supportive of you the past few months. That's on me. You're just so strong, I honestly thought you were okay." She paused, reaching out and grabbing her daughter's hand. "I also know how much it hurts that your grandparents are giving Rory so much attention. I'm really sorry that they've been so focused on her."

Frankie wiped her cheek quickly, hoping her mother didn't see the tears fall. She didn't realize how much she needed to hear the words that her mother was saying, and it was making her quite emotional.

Lorelai did see the tears. She reached out and wiped away Frankie's tears with her thumb. "I know it's not a lot, and I know it doesn't make up for everything, but I'm sorry, Francesca. I really, truly am sorry for not being there for you." There was a long pause as the pair contemplated their next words.

"Thank you, mom," Frankie whispered as she tried to hold back tears.

"Oh, honey." Lorelai climbed into the backseat and hugged her daughter. They sat in the back of the Jeep for a while until Frankie was ready to head inside.

Frankie barely slept. She was tossing and turning all night, replaying the events of the party. Finally giving in and getting up, Frankie changed into her leotard, threw on a pair of sweatpants and a warm jacket, and slipped out of the house.

Duffle bag in hand, Frankie walked through the town and straight to Luke's. She opened the door and walked right up to the counter, taking a seat on a stool.

"Need something, Frankie?"

The girl shrugged, not looking up from her hands as she picked at her fingernails.

Luke looked over at the teenager, surprised by the fact that she didn't respond. "You okay?"

"No."

With a sigh, Luke grabbed a mug, filled it with coffee, and placed it in front of Frankie. "I'm not very good at talking to people, so here's your coffee."

Frankie gave him a weak smile as she took the mug. "Thank you."

Spending the rest of the day at Ms. Patty's studio helped Frankie decompress and get out her frustrations. By the time the evening rolled around, she felt much better and was in more of a party mood.

Rory and Frankie were sitting in the living room of their home, surrounded by all their friends and chosen family from Stars Hollow. They each had on 'Happy Birthday' crowns and colorful feather boas were hanging around their necks. The twins were opening presents and chatting with guests when Sookie came out of the kitchen with a birthday cake.

"Okay! On three, 'cause I'm gonna drop it!" she exclaimed, carrying the cake with the candles already lit. "Okay, one, two..."

The entire party began singing 'Happy Birthday' to the twins. They smiled at all the guests, laughing as they saw their faces on the cake. Once the song was over, they blew out their candles, and then their mother called for the attention of the crowd.

"This is a very serious moment." Lorelai cleared her throat and took a deep breath. "Two priests, a rabbi, and a duck –"

The crowd burst into laughter, cutting the woman off.