An Overbearing Grandfather and a Fairytale

Friday night dinner was a weird affair. The night began with talk of the Gilmore mausoleum and the lack of space within it. There was only enough room for the five Gilmore's, but if Lorelai were to ever meet and marry someone, an already at rest relative would have to be displaced and moved to the annex. The older generations of Gilmore's agreed that horrible Aunt Cecile would be exiled. Rory felt very uncomfortable by the whole conversation, but Frankie was chuckling the entire time. This family can be so weird sometimes, she thought as she listened to her mother and grandmother go back and forth.

During dinner, talk of Richard's retirement dominated the conversation. He explained how he was noticing small details that he hadn't noticed before, like a vase that had been moved ever so slightly. Frankie and Lorelai noticed Emily twitching while Richard talked, and when he and Rory went to look at a book, they turned and gave their attention to Emily.

After some back and forth, Emily finally relented. "It's just that things are a little...strange lately."

"What is?" Lorelai asked gently.

"Having him home."

"Aah."

"We've never really been home at the same time. I mean, we got married, we went to Europe, we came back, he went to work, and it's been that way ever since."

"Well, so, now it's different," Frankie said with a slight shrug and light smile.

"It's very different," Emily agreed. "He's always here, watching me and noticing when I move a vase and...I don't know. It's silly. So he noticed my hair was different. Women die for that sort of thing."

"Oh, mom, it's just an adjustment. You've had your routine, he's had his routine, you guys just need to figure out a new routine," Lorelai said, trying to reassure her mother.

Frankie watched her mother and grandmother interact, a small smile on her face. She loved when they got along, it made life much more peaceful.

Sunday night, however, Emily had changed her tune. She was desperate to get away from Richard for just a day and begged Lorelai to take him. So, Monday morning, as the twins were getting ready for school, their mother begged them to stay home so she didn't have to spend the whole day alone with her father.

"Mom, I have the Franklin today. I cannot miss it." Rory grabbed a couple snacks and shoved them into her backpack as Frankie grabbed the Pop Tarts.

"I honestly would rather go to school," the younger twin piped with a shrug, then walked out of the kitchen, grabbed her skateboard, and headed over to Luke's.

"Need something, Frankie?"

"Coffee, please!"

"You know coffee stunts your growth, right?"

"Good thing I'm not growing anymore." Frankie chuckled as Luke filled up a mug for her, sliding across the counter.

"Jess will be down in a minute." The man nodded towards the door that led up to the apartment, then turned and began helping another customer.

Just as she was finishing up her coffee, Jess walked into the diner, spotting Frankie and making a beeline for her. "Hey."

"Hey," she replied with a grin, hopping off her seat. "Ready?"

Jess rolled his eyes as he slung an arm over her shoulder. "As I'll ever be."

They walked across the street to the high school, about to enter the building when they heard someone shouting for Frankie. The pair spun around to see Kayla barreling towards them.