Goodbyes and New Beginnings

Frankie woke up late the morning after Rory's graduation. She had been up all night, tossing and turning, unable to shut off her mind as one thought kept racing through her head: Someday you'll meet someone and you'll just know it's right. You won't wanna hesitate. You'll just know. Those three sentences kept ringing in her ears as she walked to the kitchen in a daze.

"Hey, hon. You're up late," Lorelai said as she poured herself more coffee.

"Mm," Frankie responded, her mother's words not registering.

"Frankie? You okay?"

"What?"

"Are you okay?" Lorelai chuckled, turning around to face her daughter. Her smile dropped when she saw the spaced out look in Frankie's eyes. "What's going on, kid?"

Frankie blinked and shook her head, trying to reorient herself to her surroundings. "Sorry. Spaced. What's up?"

"What's going on? Why are you so out of it?" Lorelai asked, taking a seat next to her daughter.

Frankie let out a heavy sigh as she ran a hand through her hair. "I can't get what you said out of my head."

"What did I say?"

"Someday you'll meet someone and you'll just know it's right. You won't wanna hesitate. You'll just know."

"Ah." The mother of two leaned back in her chair, nodding. "I did say that, huh?"

"You did."

"Why can't you get it out of your head?"

"I don't know. But I couldn't sleep last night because every time I was able to drift off, those three sentences came back and would hit my brain like an anvil."

Lorelai chuckled and shrugged. "I think you have some things to consider."

"Like what?"

"Like if you even want to be in a relationship right now. You just started an amazing job, Frankie. Would now even be the right time to get into something?"

"Is there ever a good time?"

"Fair point. But then there's the distance thing, if who you're considering isn't in Paris."

"Rory did it."

"Rory wasn't as busy as you."

"But Logan was."

"Another fair point." Lorelai cocked her head as she gazed at her daughter. "Who are you thinking about right now?"

"What?"

"Who are you thinking about? Is it Jess? Or Finn? Or someone new?"

Frankie shrugged, picking at a napkin as she leaned back in her seat. "I don't know."

"You wouldn't be making yourself crazy about something I said last night if there wasn't someone specific in mind."

"I mean...maybe?"

"Who?"

The girl sighed, shaking her head. "It can't work."

"Why not?"

"It just can't."

"Why? Because you're in Paris right now?"

"Because of a lot of things."