Endings, Beginnings

It was the beginning of August, and Frankie had just returned from the best summer of her life. She had been in Paris for two months, dancing eight hours a day, five days a week. She made friends that would last a lifetime, and had met some of the most incredible dancers in the world. Nothing could dampen her spirit as she arrived home to Stars Hollow.

Frankie spent the two weeks she had before orientation alone in the house because Lorelai and Rory weren't returning until later in the month. She had Lane and Kayla to keep her company, as well as Ms. Patty and the dance studio, and she made sure to document every strange and silly occurrence for when her mother and sister finally came home.

Unfortunately, because of the timing, Frankie and Kayla left for their orientations at Juilliard and NYU, respectively, before Lorelai and Rory made their way home. As they said their goodbyes to their friends and family, Frankie made sure to stop by two specific places.

"Ms. Patty?" she called into the studio. The lights were on, but it seemed as though no one was around. "Ms. Patty?"

Frankie was just about to leave when she heard a sniffle coming from the back of the building. She carefully walked over to the green room and stepped in, seeing her dance teacher sitting in a chair with three empty boxes of tissues, and their contents, scattered around her on the floor.

"Oh, Ms. Patty," she said, her eyes filling with tears. She rushed over to the woman and engulfed her in a warm hug, not wanting to let go.

"Frankie. Oh, Frankie, I'm so proud of you," Ms. Patty cried, hanging onto the girl as if her life depended on it. "I'm going to miss you so much!"

Frankie choked back tears, trying desperately not to break down. "I'm going to miss you, too."

They stayed there, holding onto each other, for a long time. Neither of them were ready to say goodbye just yet.

"You know," Frankie said, clearing her throat and wiping her tears, "I'll be back soon. This isn't goodbye forever."

Ms. Patty chuckled as she dabbed at her eyes. "I know, dear. It's just going to be so strange, coming to this studio and not having you here all the time."

"It's going to be strange not coming here and seeing your beautiful face all the time."

The woman blushed. "Flattery will get you everywhere with me, Francesca."

The girl grinned. "I know."

The student and teacher walked out of the studio arm in arm.

"Go say your goodbyes. I know you're leaving today," Ms. Patty encouraged sadly.

"You were one of my last stops. I've said goodbye to almost everyone over the past few days."

"Who's left?"

Frankie glanced across the street. "Just Luke," she stated with a sigh.

Ms. Patty nodded. "Were you putting it off?"

"Maybe a little?"

The teacher laughed. "Go on. He's not so scary."

Frankie smiled and nodded, embracing Ms. Patty one last time, then made her way across the street. She took a deep breath, opened the door to the diner, and walked up to the counter.

"Need something, Frankie?" Luke asked, not glancing up from his order pad.

"A hug?"