News from the Homefront

After her talk with Jess, Frankie did her best to feel okay and start taking care of herself again, but every time she closed her eyes, all she could see was that sinister smile. She felt so out of control and alone. Drinking was her way to forget, and not eating was her way of being in control of something, even if it was detrimental.

Her grades began slipping, her focus would drift during rehearsals, and, if she managed to sleep at all, she would wake up in a cold sweat from nightmares. Frankie's physical and mental health was at an all-time low, and the people who saw her on a regular basis didn't know what was happening or how to help.

Frankie avoided going home so she didn't have to deal with the questions that would inevitably come from her mother and Luke, and she avoided people's calls like the plague.

Finn had called a few times and left voicemails. He was doing everything in his power to win Frankie back, but because she was skirting his calls, he was finding it harder and harder to hold himself back from going to see her.

"Why are you still calling her? She broke up with you," Colin said as he flipped through the channels, trying to find something to watch on TV.

"Because I don't want this to be the end," Finn replied, listening to the line ring, hoping that Frankie would pick up.

"You did sleep with someone in Europe, Finn," stated Logan with a shrug.

"Not helping, mate."

"Not trying to help. I'm stating a fact."

"Well, why didn't you tell her when you saw her at the train station, then?"

"Because I'm a good friend and I have your back, that's why. Plus, I knew it should come from you."

Finn groaned when Frankie's phone went to voicemail again, throwing the device on the couch.

"Hey, man! I'm sitting here!" Colin exclaimed.

"If she wants to talk to you, she will. Otherwise, let her come to you," said Logan, flipping the page of his book.

The Australian paced the floor, raking a hand through his hair. Suddenly, he grabbed his car keys and wallet, walking quickly to the door.

"Where are you going?" his friends called, but Finn was on a mission.

He drove to New York, screeching to a halt out front and buzzing her apartment number.

"Hello?" Kayla said into the intercom.

"It's Finn."

"Finn? What are you doing here?"

"I need to see Francesca."

Kayla paused, unsure of what to do. "She's not here right now, but can I take a message?"

"Is she really not there, or are you saying that to get rid of me?"

"She's really not here, but I don't think she wants to see you, Finn."

"Kayla, please. I need to see her. I need to talk to her."

"Look," Kayla started with a sigh, "I get it, okay? But Frankie isn't doing well right now, and I think seeing you would make everything worse."

"What do you mean? What happened?" he asked, concerned.

"I don't know. She won't talk to anyone. She's not even talking to her mom."

"Well, that's not a surprise, they weren't on the best of terms."

"They've actually been working things out."