A Trip to Philly

Feeling a little out of sorts after her talk with Finn, Frankie needed a distraction. One night, while she was working on some homework, Kayla came running into her room.

"Lane's getting married!"

"What?" Frankie exclaimed, spinning around in her desk chair to face her best friend.

"Lane and Zach are getting married!"

"Oh, my God! When?"

"Soon! This is insane! Our friend is getting married!"

"How'd you find out?"

"Brian told me."

Frankie grinned. "So, does that mean you two are back on?"

Kayla shrugged sheepishly. "Maybe."

"Awe, Kay, I'm really happy for you."

"Thank you. I really like him."

"He's a good guy. You deserve the world, and I hope he gives it to you."

Kayla smiled and left the room, leaving Frankie with her thoughts. She reached over and grabbed her phone, dialing Jess' number.

"Hey," he greeted cheerfully. "How are you?"

"I'm good. Doing homework. Just found out Lane is getting married. How are you?"

"I'm good. Hang on, did you just say Lane is getting married?"

"Yep. She and Zach are tying the knot."

"Wow," he chuckled. "Did not expect that."

"Right? I never really imagined Zach getting married, but here we are."

"So, what's up, Frankie?"

She sighed, leaning back in her chair. "I was wondering if I could come visit you?"

"Yeah, whenever you want."

"You sure? I don't want to interfere in your life."

"You could never interfere, Frankie. Whenever you want to come out here, just let me know."

"How about this weekend?"

Jess grinned. "Have you checked your mail recently?"

"No, why?"

"Check your mail. I'll see you this weekend."

Frankie furrowed her eyebrows and stood up from her desk as they hung up. She walked over to the table by the front door and rifled through the mail. A specific envelope caught her eye.

Jess Mariano

Truncheon Books

Frankie arrived in Philadelphia a few days later. She got off the train and hailed a cab, taking in the sights as she was driven through the city. After paying the driver and grabbing her duffle bag, she hopped out of the taxi and smiled as she gazed at the building in front of her.

She opened the door to the establishment and walked inside, spotting Jess by a coffee table.

"Hey, there's Alicia Matheson from 'The Weekly'," someone said to him, pointing across the room.

"Oh. Grab Matthew. Get him off the bar thing. Have him show her around. That's what he does best." Jess patted the man's back and turned, smiling brightly when he saw Frankie. "You came."