New Cars and Baby Showers

Rory and Lorelai went to Luke's for dinner one night while Frankie was teaching a tap class to a group of twelve year olds.

"That's it! Keep it up. And, toe, heel, toe, heel, scrape, brush, back to one. Toe, heel, toe, heel, scrape, brush, back to one." She walked around, adjusting stances and helping kids who were struggling a little bit with the rhythm and movements. "And, break! Great work today, guys! Have a wonderful evening." Frankie smiled as she watched the kids pack up, then waved as they all walked out of the studio.

She changed into her street clothes, then walked over to Luke's, entering the diner just as her family was leaving. She nodded with a tight smile in acknowledgement, then made her way to the counter where Jess was reading a book.

"Hey, you," she said, kissing his cheek, causing him to look up from the page.

Jess closed his book as he turned to face Frankie, a smile on his face. "Hey." He wrapped his arms around her waist and pulled her in to kiss her lips.

Frankie could feel eyes burning a hole in the back of her skull, but she chose to ignore it. She knew that it was her sister, and it bothered her knowing how infatuated with Jess Rory was. Jess kept assuring her nothing had happened or would ever happen, but the insecurity was still there. She did it once, she could do it again.

After school on Thursday, Frankie and Jess walked over to the diner and up to the apartment to do homework, read, and work on college applications.

"I hate this," Frankie groaned, collapsing on Jess' bed, face planting into the pillow that was supporting her elbows.

"What?" he asked from his spot in the chair.

"This!" she exclaimed, waving around one of her applications. "I have to write an essay on why I dance. I don't know why! I'm just good!" Frankie groaned and collapsed again, tired of trying to dissect her life, just so a college admissions person could accept or reject her.

Jess chuckled as he stood up, walking over to his closet to put a jacket away. Just as he came back to his seat, the door opened to reveal Luke and Lorelai.

The mother and daughter stared at each other for a moment, not sure what to say. "Sorry to barge in," Lorelai said after a brief pause.

"No problem," replied Jess as he sat down. "What was that about a toy?"

"Your uncle Luke is getting one if he's a good boy," the mother of two called over her shoulder as she approached the man's closet.

"Can we make this more demeaning?" Luke said, sarcasm dripping off his words.

Frankie giggled as she watched Lorelai go back and forth with Luke, bantering him about his affection for Jimmy Buffet.

"Sing 'Margaritaville'," Lorelai teased, reaching into his closet to look for a shirt.

"No."

"That attitude is gonna lose you that toy," Jess called out. Frankie snorted and covered her mouth to keep from cackling. Jess sent her a goofy grin and a wink, knowing that she always enjoyed listening to the uncle and nephew argue.

Lorelai picked out a shirt, handing it to Luke. He took it and went to the bathroom to change.

"Lose the baseball cap, too!"

"You run the risk of his head falling off without it," Jess said as he turned around in the chair to face Lorelai.

"I think he'll be okay," she retorted, a fake smile plastered on her face.