Heart to Hearts and Hockey Games

Frankie and Jess had made plans for a date one Friday night, and Lorelai was going out with Alex, so the Gilmore girls were rushing through a very hectic dinner with Emily and Richard. When they finally got home, Frankie checked the answering machine to see if Jess had called while Lorelai rushed upstairs to grab her boots. Rory went to her room to do homework, leaving Frankie alone in the living room with no calls from Jess.

"He didn't call?" Lorelai asked as she slipped into her boots, looking at Frankie who was sitting on the couch.

"Nope. But that's okay, we didn't make solid plans."

"I thought you had a date?"

"We did. But we didn't set anything in stone."

Lorelai watched her daughter for a moment, the disappointment she felt etched into her features. "He'll call." She smiled down at Frankie, placing a hand on her shoulder, then rushed out of the house to meet Alex.

Frankie sat in front of the TV, watching movies and a Twilight Zone marathon, willing the phone to ring, but it never did. She eventually got up from her spot on the couch, making her way to the kitchen to grab a Pop Tart.

"He didn't call?"

The girl whipped around, seeing Rory standing in her doorway. "Jesus, you scared me!"

"Sorry," Rory said with a laugh, stepping into the kitchen and sitting down at the table. "So, he didn't call?"

Frankie shook her head, taking a seat across from Rory. "No."

There was a moment of silence as the sisters tried to think of what to say.

"Look, um..." Rory took a deep breath before continuing her thought. "I, uh, I want to apologize."

"For?" Frankie asked, placing the Pop Tart down on her plate.

"For, uh, for trying to kiss Jess. It was stupid, I don't know why I did it."

"Ah." The younger twin leaned back in her seat, watching Rory for a moment. "Why now?"

"Huh?"

"Why are you apologizing now?"

"Well." Rory cleared her throat, looking down at her hands. "I've had a lot of time to think about it all, and I realized that I've been a really bad sister to you. I mean, I keep going after your boyfriends. I don't know why I do it. Maybe it's a jealousy thing? I mean, you're so pretty, and you're athletic, and you know who you are. I don't know, I guess I just envy you a little."

Frankie cocked her head, trying to understand what Rory was saying. "You go after my boyfriends because you're jealous?"

The older twin shrugged, fiddling with her fingers. "A little."

"Why? You're the one who has everything. Mom is wrapped around your finger. Dean was putty in your hands. You go to Chilton. Grandma and Grandpa adore you, more than they'll ever love me. And don't forget about Harvard."

"But that's just it. What good is all that if I don't know who I am?" Rory looked up at her sister, eyes wide. "You know exactly who you are, and you're proud of it."

"You know who you are too, Ror. You've known since we were toddlers."

"But is it what I want?"

"What do you mean?" Frankie leaned forward, curious where the conversation was going.

"I mean, I love writing, and I love journalism. But Harvard...Is Harvard really what I want?"