Coming Clean

Frankie was just finishing up with Ms. Patty one night when the older woman called out to her.

"Frankie, hold on a moment before you leave."

She stopped and turned around, standing by the door with her duffle bag over her shoulder. "What's up?"

"I just want to make sure you're okay," Ms. Patty said gently, a small smile on her face.

Frankie nodded. "I'm good. I'm sorry I was so out of it for a while, I don't know what happened."

Ms. Patty sighed and took Frankie's hand, leading her over to a bench in the corner of the studio. "Dear, I have been around a long time. I have known many people. And I can honestly tell you that what you experienced, it's nothing to be ashamed of."

"But I don't even know what happened," Frankie said, not sure what Ms. Patty was trying to say.

"Sweetheart, you had a depressive episode," Ms. Patty responded gently, not wanting to scare the teenager. "And it's nothing to be embarrassed about. Many, many people have depression and are perfectly fine. You just need to go to a doctor, okay?"

Frankie shook her head in disbelief. "No. No, I didn't. I was just sad, that's all."

"Frankie, what did you do during that time?"

The girl shrugged. "Stayed in bed."

"In the dark?"

Frankie nodded.

"Didn't interact with anyone?"

She nodded again.

"Barely ate? Slept a lot? Just getting out of bed felt like the biggest task of your life?"

Frankie nodded again and looked down at her feet.

"Frankie, honey, look at me." Once the girl was looking at her, Ms. Patty continued. "It's okay. You are not alone. You will never be alone. Having depression does not define you. It does not make you less than anyone else. You are perfect exactly as you are, and don't let anyone tell you any differently."

A tear rolled down Frankie's cheek, which Ms. Patty wiped away. She pulled the girl into a hug and held her, letting the teenager cry into her shoulder. Once Frankie had composed herself, she thanked Ms. Patty, and started the walk back to her house.

Upon entering the house, Frankie heard The Donna Reed Show playing, and Dean trying to say that the concept of having a wife cook so the food is ready when the husband gets home is nice. Frankie rolled her eyes when she heard that, entering the room to grab a slice of pizza before heading off to her bedroom.

A few days later, Babette stopped by to ask if one of the twins could housesit and look after the new kitten she and Morey had just gotten. Rory jumped at the chance, which Frankie was fine with. She preferred her own bed, anyway.

After school that day, Frankie skated home, wanting to talk to her mother privately before Rory got home.

"Mom?"

"Kitchen!"

Frankie left her skateboard outside, dropped her backpack in her room, and entered the kitchen. She sat down across for Lorelai at the table and waited for her to look up.

"What's up, kid?" Lorelai chuckled as she cut paint colors out of magazines.

"I need to talk to you about a few things. But I need you to not say anything until I'm finished because otherwise I'm never gonna say it all."