Wakes and Offers

While Rory and Emily were off gallivanting around Europe, Frankie was home with Lorelai. Frankie would spend a lot of time alone when she was at the house because Lorelai was constantly at the inn. Trying to keep herself busy, and keep her mind off Jess, Frankie and Kayla would go down to New York every weekend to scope out apartments for the coming year.

They finally found one that was in their price range in Brooklyn. Frankie called Penny to tell her about it, since the three girls were living together, and the bubbly girl was thrilled. The commute wasn't terrible by train, and since Penny and Frankie tried to sign up for as many classes together as they could, they would go back and forth from their apartment to school together.

The rest of the summer, Frankie was working at Ms. Patty's. She taught as many lessons as she could to keep her mind from wandering, which didn't go unnoticed by the dance teacher.

"Are you okay, dear?" Ms. Patty asked Frankie one afternoon as the students were filtering out of the studio.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Honey."

"Hm?" Frankie hummed, looking up from her bag she was rifling through.

"What's going on?"

The girl let out a deep sigh, then sat down on the bench next to Ms. Patty. "I've been trying to get over someone, and it hasn't been easy."

"Jess?"

Frankie nodded sadly. "We talked in New York one day, and we cleared the air. And then I went to his mother's wedding with him, and it just felt right. I don't know. But then he asked me to go with him, travel around, and I said no because I have responsibilities now. I just...I keep wondering what if, you know?"

Ms. Patty wrapped an arm around Frankie's shoulders, giving her a tight squeeze. "You know, the best way to get over someone is to get under someone new."

Frankie chuckled. "That's what a friend of mine said."

"Smart friend you have, then."

Later that night, Frankie arrived home to see Rory and Lorelai in the living room.

"Oh, hey, you're back." Frankie dropped her stuff in her room, then walked back out to her family. "Did you have fun?"

"Mhm." Rory didn't take her eyes of the TV.

Lorelai stood up and gestured for Frankie to follow her into the kitchen.

"Rory wrote a letter to Dean and Lindsay found it," Lorelai whispered, grabbing a mug out of the cabinet and filling it with coffee.

"Seriously?"

"She threw him out. He's at home now."

"Woah."

"So, if you wouldn't mind, just be nice to your sister? She feels awful."

Frankie nodded. "I wasn't planning on being mean."

"I know, sweetie. But let's just not pile on, okay?"

"Okay."

Frankie and Kayla went down to New York a few times over the next couple weeks to move their stuff into their apartment. The girls were beyond excited to live together, and were very ready to start school.

Because Frankie wasn't back at school yet, Richard and Emily requested that she come to Friday night dinners, which were now cut up into parts; Richard had drinks with the girls in the pool house, and Emily hosted dinner in the main house. It was almost like a competition between the elder Gilmore's, and Frankie's head was spinning once the evening was over.