Basket Mix Up

Bid On a Basket. A fundraising event that Stars Hollow held every year where the women made baskets and the men bid on them. The highest bid got to go on a 'date' with the basket maker. It was sexist and weird, and Frankie hated the whole concept. But, now that she and Jess were officially together, she thought it might be fun to go on a date with him, even if he did have to bid on her basket.

Frankie was teaching when her mother and sister went to pick out baskets, so she had to go right before Doose's Market closed. When she got there, only a few baskets were left, so she picked out a small one, some basket stuffing, and some of her and Jess' favorite snacks, then went to the register to pay.

"Hey, Frankie."

She looked up and into the face of a smiling Dean. "Oh, hey. How are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks. How are you?"

She shrugged as she rifled through her wallet for cash. "I'm good. Not super excited about this basket thing."

"Why are you doing it, then?" Dean asked with a chuckle.

"I thought it could be fun for me and Jess to go on a date."

"Right, you're with Jess now," the boy said, a slight edge in his voice that didn't go unnoticed by Frankie. "What happened to you and Tristin?"

"Uh, what do you mean?" she asked, furrowing her eyebrows.

"Well, you guys were hot and heavy for a while there, and then all of a sudden you weren't. I guess I'm just wondering what happened."

"Um, well, we broke up." Frankie placed the cash on the counter, not making eye contact with Dean.

"Any particular reason?"

"Yeah."

Dean nodded as he grabbed Frankie's change. "Don't wanna talk about it. I'm pushing, I'm sorry."

"It's fine," Frankie said with a forced smile. "See you later." She waved goodbye as she grabbed her items and headed back home.

The day of the event, the Gilmore girls left together and stood by the gazebo, waiting for the event to begin. The bidding began shortly after they arrived, with Taylor acting like he was hosting a game show.

"He really needs to chill out," Frankie muttered, watching as Taylor went on about the baskets.

"He really does," Lorelai agreed.

"Oh, here's mine!" Rory exclaimed, pointing at the basket that was being presented. She glanced over her shoulder at Dean, who nodded in understanding. He won the bidding, and Rory walked over to him with a large smile on her face.

Frankie and Lorelai were left standing together, laughing at the whole process, when Lorelai's basket was brought up and a bidding war began. She rushed off to find Ms. Patty, who had invited the men because she was trying to set the single mother up with an eligible bachelor. Lorelai's basket was finally bought by Luke for $52.50 after she had dragged him from the diner, begging him to bid on her basket so she could stop the train wreck happening at the gazebo.

Frankie's basket was last, and Jess won the bid. The new couple smiled at each other as they went up to collect the basket.

"So, where do you want to go?" Jess asked. Before she could respond, Rory came running up to them.

"We mixed up our baskets."

"What?" Frankie questioned, confused.

"We mixed them up. Look." Rory opened the basket to show her sister the contents. They had, in fact, mixed up their baskets.