A Much Needed Talk

The end of the semester was approaching quickly, and Frankie was busy studying and practicing for her finals. She and Penny had hunkered down in their room, spreading out their study materials over every available surface. They were working on their philosophy papers, when suddenly, the blaring of a cell phone ringer went off.

"Oh, my ears!" Penny exclaimed. "Is that normally that loud?"

"I don't know. I can't remember." Frankie grimaced, grabbing her phone and answering. "Hello?"

"Frankie! It's Luke. I need your help."

"Hey, Luke. Um, now isn't really –"

"Please, Frankie. I need your help with Jess."

Frankie sucked in a sharp breath, thinking over her options, but eventually relented. "Okay, where am I meeting you?"

"Thank you. Seriously. Thank you." Luke told her the address, which was in the city, then hung up the phone.

The girl sighed, closing her cell phone, and turned to Penny. "I have to go. I'll see you later, okay?"

"Where are you going?"

"I have to go deal with Jess," Frankie replied, grabbing her shoes from her closet.

"Jess? As in the ex-boyfriend, Jess?"

"Yeah. His uncle just called and asked for my help. Don't know why."

"Good luck!" said Penny, hopping up from her position on the floor to give her friend a hug. "You'll need it."

"Yeah, I really will," Frankie laughed, waving as she exited the room.

She arrived at the run-down apartment building and spotted Luke's truck, then made her way inside and to the apartment number that the diner owner provided. She let out a heavy sigh and shook her hands out, trying to relieve her body of the nerves. "You've got this, Francesca. You can do this," she muttered to herself as she knocked on the door.

A moment later, Frankie came face to face with Jess. She froze, mesmerized by his eyes. His hair was longer than it had been a few months prior when she last saw him, and she had to resist the urge to run her fingers through it.

"Hi," he said quietly, breaking the silence between them.

"Hi."

"What are you doing here?" He stepped aside, allowing Frankie entry into the overcrowded apartment.

"Um, Luke called me."

"Of course he did," Jess scoffed, shaking his head.

"Yeah. I did. Because nothing I say seems to get through to you," Luke exclaimed, popping out from the kitchen, startling Frankie.

"So, what's going on?" she asked, leaning against the counter.

"You didn't tell her why she's here?" Jess questioned, scoffing again.

"He won't go to his mother's wedding," Luke answered, ignoring Jess.

"Wait, you won't go to your mom's wedding?" Frankie turned her attention to Jess as he rolled his eyes.

"No. I'll catch the next one."

"Jess, come on. No matter what she's done, she's still your mom. You remember when I was having all those issues with Lorelai? I still went to her graduation, even though I was living in Boston. I knew I was going to regret it if I didn't, and I knew she would be beyond disappointed if she didn't see me in the crowd, cheering her on. Regardless of what your mom has done, she wants you there." Frankie reached out, putting a hand on Jess' arm. "You should go."