Chapter Three: Stabbing is a Hazard

I sat in the back seat of the Impala, going through my phone when I felt a weight on my shoulder; seeing Jack had fallen asleep and was resting his head on my shoulder.

"So, Anna—" Sam looked back and saw us, a smile forming on his face. "He seems to have taken a liking to you. That's good."

    I smiled at the older man and looked at Jack's sleeping figure, lightly placing my hand on his arm as he shifted closer to me in his sleep.

    "Dean, we got 12 hours until we're home. Want me to drive?" Sam asked his brother.

    "Do I ever want you to drive?" Dean replied.

    "Look, loosing Mom and Cass, that's a lot to process, Dean. Especially on no sleep." Sam said. "And the kid."

    "'The kid"? Come on, man, you know how this plays out. Look, we try to bend the rules, pretend the bad guys aren't so bad, or that things will get fixed. That's when the people we care about get hurt." Dean said, continuing on. "And then we end up doing what we should've done which is end the problem. So, this time, let's start with the obvious."

    "I've told you multiple times, Dean. We are not killing Jack." I said in a sharp whisper, careful not to wake Jack.

    "Oh, yeah, I forgot, cuz he's your boyfriend now." Dean said.

    "Seriously, Dean? It's because I made a promise to Kelly to not let anything happen to her son. And I'm not going to break that." I said.

    "Sure. That's the only reason." Dean said in a sharp voice. "Listen, I'm going to kill him as soon as I find a way to take care of....it."

    "Dean, "the problem" might be our only chance to save Mom." Sam said, "and Anna's dad."

    "Mom's gone. There's no fixing that." Dean said stubbornly.

    "And Anna's dad? Are you just going to give up on him? He might be alive." Sam said.

    "Yeah. Might." Dean answered, going silent once again.

    "Okay, Dean, pull the damn car over now. You're lacking sleep, and frankly, I can't be in the same car as you for a second longer right now. There's a hotel right here, so you can get some sleep and quit being so cranky." I snapped.

    Sam coughed to hide his laugh and winked at me from the mirror, making me smile as Dean sighed and pulled the car into the Black Hat Hotel.

    "Jack, hey, wake up." I said softly to him, having him wake up and rub his eyes from sleep.

    "We there yet?" he asked with a huge yawn.

    "Not yet. We're at a hotel where we can get some sleep. Come on." I opened the car door and the four of us walked into the hotel.

    "How many rooms?" the hotel manager asked.

    "One—" Dean said.

    "Two." I corrected, plastering on a fake smile. "Two, please."

    "Alrighty. Enjoy your stay." the manager said, handing me the keys as the four of us walked down a hallway.

    "Hey, what the hell was that?" Dean asked as he snatched a key from my hand.

    "If you think I'm spending the night in the same room as you right now, you're mistaken. You and Sam take this room. I'll go with Jack in the next." I told him.

    "There's no way—"

    "Dean," Sam said to his brother, seeing my face. "Drop it."

    Dean frowned. "Fine. But if he gets out, that's on you."