Chapter Fourty-Two: Starting New

A month had passed since Jack left us.

Sam and Dean came by as often as they could to help Kelly and I in any way possible. Belphegor wanted desperately to help, but he thought that him being here would just cause me more pain.

And as if the unborn baby could sense his father was gone, he or she refused to be born. It was like the baby was in it's own state of mourning.

    A light knock came on the door to our house and I opened it to see Dakota standing there with a box of apple juice and some ice cream.

    "Hey, Dakota. Come on in." I let her in and closed the door.

    She set the stuff down at the table and opened the box, handing me a juice box and grabbing a two spoons from the drawer, handing me one as we opened the tubs of ice cream.

    "Where's Kelly?" Dakota asked.

    "She's left to be with Jody and the girls today." I answered.

    Prior to Jack's leaving, Kelly aged up faster from a toddler to a 13-year old teenager. Why she did that, I had no idea.

    "How's the little baby doing? You find out the gender yet?" she asked, looking towards my stomach.

    "Yeah. It's a boy." I said.

"Then why don't you sound too happy about that?" she asked as she drank her juice box.

"My husband left me to take care of a teenage girl and a newborn on my own." I said.

"Anna, you can't blame Jack—"

"I don't blame him. I never have. I'm just..I'm trying to figure everything out. My mother died protecting me when I was an infant, and my father wants nothing to do with me," I sighed. "I'm still trying to figure out how to be a mom."

"Hey. You got me." Dakota smiled and set her hand on my arm.

I smiled at my friend. "I know I do. Thanks."

My phone rang on the counter and I picked it up, seeing the called ID , hovering my finger over the green 'call' button.

Dakota looked over my shoulder. "Are you ready to talk to Belphegor? If not, I can take it for you. Relay the message."

I smiled. "As much as I love that idea, I've seen you giving him those flirty eyes and comments."

"I was?" she asked, confused. "I'm perfectly happy with Dean."

"I know. Thanks for the offer, but I'll take it." I hit the button and put it up to my ear. "Hey. You finally decided to call."

"I figured you needed space. And seeing my face—no matter how handsome it is—wouldn't do you any good at the time."

I smiled softly and nodded. "Thanks for that. Honestly, I've missed hearing your voice."

"Awwwwww. How sweet! What are you up to?" he asked.

"Hanging out with Dakota at my place."

"Oh. Cool. Cool cool cool. Just wanted to say I missed you and I really hope to see you again sometime."

"You're outside my house right now, aren't you?"

"Yes. Yes, I am."

I smiled and stood up. "Wait there. I'll let you in." I hung up the phone and walked to the front door, opening it and seeing him standing on the porch with his hands in his pockets.