Chapter Thirty-seven: Happy Thanksgiving

"Hey. Hey, Anna. Wake up." Dean said in a soft voice, shaking my shoulder.

    I jumped in shock. "What the hell, dude? It's 2 in the morning!"

    "Yeah, hey. Okay, two questions. One, why are you sleeping on the couch? Did you and Jack get in a fight?" he asked with concern.

"No. For your information, I was out late with a friend and was too tired to go upstairs." I answered him without moving from my spot on the couch.

"Uh-huh. Okay. Two, this is totally rhetorical, by the way. You know how people meet a girl and wants to spend the rest of their life with that person?" he asked.

"Aw. Did Dean finally fall in love?" I asked with a big smile.

"No. I'm just wondering. You know, for Sammy." he denied, his face a deep shade of red.

I sat up and pulled him down beside me. "I can tell by the shade of red that you're not asking for your brother, Dean. Come on. Tell your girl who it is."

He let out a sigh. "You're never gonna let this go, are you?"

"Nope," I shook my head. "Come on. Tell me. Please? You owe me after waking me up at this hour."

"Fine. I met her in the area while I went out for a drink. She was in the bar, so I thought I'd buy her a drink. You know, be smooth. And guess what happened."

"Her husband came out?" I guessed.

"No. She orders apple juice. Freaking apple juice in a bar. Who does that?"

"Me. Dude, apple juice will always be the superior to that bog water." I answered him honestly.

"I'm gonna pretend that you didn't just say that. Or I'm gonna have to rethink my policy of hitting a girl."

"Yeah, anyways. The girl? Tell me about her! Did you get her number?" I asked excitedly.

"Yes, I got her number. And, I even scored myself a picture with her. Look." he fished out his phone and scrolled to the picture, handing it to me.

I took it from him and smiled at how happy the two of them looked in the bar, Sam in the background with two beers in his hand. "Aw. She's cute. Good for you, Dean."

He took his phone back and shut it off, smiling at me. "She's the best, Anna. You'd like her. She's independent, smart, a total badass, obsessed with certain actors from shows and movies. But obsessed in a cute way. Not like, she has shrines of them where she drinks pig's blood."

I scrunched up my nose at that statement. "Yeah, I think that's enough visuals for now. What's her name?"

"Her name's as pretty as the state. Wanna guess?" he asked me.

"Hmm......Ohio?" I joked.

He laughed softly. "No, stupid. Her name's Dakota."

I smiled at him and set my hand on his knee. "I'm glad you finally found someone, Dean. You deserve it after all these years of hunting. Hey. How about you bring her over to our house for Thanksgiving?"

"Sure that wouldn't scare her away? I really like this one." Dean said.

"Dean. If she's gonna be with you, she's gonna have to get used to the crazy." I answered.

    He smiled and nodded, standing up and kissing my head. "You got it, kid. Need help with the turkey?"

    "It's 2 in the morning. I think we can wait a few hours. Until it needs to be done. In the meantime, why don't you crash in the guest room here and I'll call Sam."

    "Uh.....he's kinda already sleeping in the guest room.....so is my dog." he said.

    I sighed and smiled a little. "Okay. Take the couch. I'll head on upstairs."

    "You sure?" he asked.

    "I'm sure. Just call next time, okay?"

    "Will do." he nodded and I got up, heading up the stairs and into my room where Jack was laying in bed reading a book, already halfway through.

    "Hey. What're you doing up?" I asked when I climbed into bed beside him and let him wrap his arm around me, pulling me closer to his side.

    "Kelly was crying around midnight. I got her to sleep an hour ago, and my brain is just not tired." he answered.

    "Hm. Makes sense why your reading it upside down." I said with a smile at him.

    He stifled a yawn, setting the book aside. "Fine. I'm tired. But I can't sleep without you. You know that."

    "Aw. Hey. Guess what?"

    "What?"

    "Dean finally found a girl for himself."

    "That's great. Now all we need is Sam to find one, and we'll be complete." he said with a smile, kissing my forehead.

    "Hm. I invited Dean's girl over for Thanksgiving. Maybe she'll have a hot sister." I said.

    "Playing Matchmaker again?"

"Always."

                               💠💠💠

"This turkey is really good, Anna." Dean said with a smile as we all sat around the table.

"Thanks, Dean. Only took me 4 hours to make." I answered him.

"By the way, Anna. Thank you for inviting me over." Dakota said from where she sat next to Dean.

"Yeah. Of course. We're glad you could come." I answered, hearing my phone ring in my pocket and taking it out, seeing the Caller ID. "Excuse me for a moment."

    I headed into the kitchen and held the oboe up to my ear. "I told you to call me for emergencies only, Belphegor. I'm having Thanksgiving dinner."

    "I need help..."

    "With that? What happened?"

    "So, I might have gotten stabbed by one of my former fellow demons. He still has a major grudge on me. I mean, I flayed him for all eternity, sure, but I didn't deserve to be stabbed!"

    I sighed. "Can't you just cast a spell or something to heal yourself up?"

    "Uh....no. I tried that. Can you just come over and help? My side's starting to look like a fresh slab of butchered pig."

    "Fine. I'll be over as soon as I can. But you owe me for this."

    "Noted."

    I hung up the phone and put it back in my pocket, heading back into the dining area.

    "Everything okay, sweetheart?" Jack asked as he fed Kelly her food.

    "Yeah. I just need to head out. One of my friends got hurt and needs medical attention." I answered with a sigh.

    "You're not a nurse." Sam said.

    "I'm aware of that, Sam. But I have stitched up myself more times than I can count because of Hunts."

    Dean nodded. "I think she's fine, Sammy."

    "I'll be back as soon as I can, okay?" I told them, placing my hand on my husband's shoulder. "Are you going to be okay?"

    He looked at me and nodded. "Yeah. Yeah. I'll be fine. Go help your friend."

    I kissed him softly and kissed my daughter's forehead before heading outside and getting into my car, driving down the road.

    "So where are we going?" a female voice asked.

    I turned and slammed on the brakes, pulling off to the side of the road and turning around to the backseat. "Dakota! What are you doing here?"

    "I wanna help. And I wanna bond." she answered and climbed into the passenger's seat. "I'm coming."

    I looked at her for a moment longer before sighing and nodding. "Okay then."