Chapter Twenty-three: Deceit

The door opened and Sam walked in, taking a seat next to me as we looked at the brick wall in silence.

"Is Dean still out?" I asked.

"Yeah. Yeah, he is."

I nodded slightly. "I can take over the Hunts if you and Dean want a few days off. I wouldn't blame you. You lost someone very important to you."

"So did you. You lost Jack." he answered.

I sighed softly. "Yeah. But at least we know he's still out there." getting up and heading out into the main room, opening up the laptop on the table and sat down across from Sam.

    The door to the bunker opened and Dean walked down, sniffing and clearing his throat as if nothing happened. But, of course, we both knew something happened.

    "Dude, are you okay?" I asked Dean.

    "I'm fine, Anna. What you two working on?" Dean asked.

    "We're trying to find Jack." Sam answered. "We gotta find him before Bobby and his crew find him, because if they find him first—"

    "He's gonna kill 'em all." Dean finished.

    I looked up at Dean and leaned back in the chair, crossing one leg over the other. "How come I get the feeling you're not talking about Bobby?"

    Sam interjected quickly. "You know, I can't stop thinking about Mom. I-I can't stop thinking that...most people—it's—it's hope and faith, right? That's all they have. But we know the truth. We know God is real. We know angels are real, too."

    "And most of them are douches." I interrupted.

    "But they're real, right? We know that our Mom's not sitting on a cloud playing a harp." Sam directed towards Dean. "She's in a good place. Or she's in a great place. She's with Dad."

    "Hmm. You know what else? There wasn't enough left of her to even try to bring her back." Dean said and walked away.

    I sighed and looked at Sam. "Go talk to Dean. I'll continue the search."

    Sam smiled gratefully at me and got up, jogging to catch up with Dean in the hall.

    I turned back to the computer and continued the search for Jack, hacking into the police scanner as well as searching for missing persons.

    "Where are you, Jack?" I said under my breath.

    "Anna." Cass said suddenly.

    I jumped and saw him standing beside me. "When'd you get here?"

    "Um....just now," he answered. "I called Sam and Dean. I have news for you all."

    The brothers came back into the room and sat in chairs, all three of us looking at the angel.

    "So the angels are gonna help us?" Sam asked.

    "I was promised every effort would be made to locate Jack." Cass answered.

    "Oh. Heaven promised? Great. Well, we should take that to the bank." Dean said.

    "Jack's powers could also be a threat. It serves them to help find him." Cass said.

    "Yeah, about that, I've been looking for anything weird while Sam was talking with Dean, and look at what I found." I said, turning the computer around.

    Sam read the screen. "Huh. A university professor was found dead in his office in Ohio. His body was crystallized into a block of salt."

    "Salt. Why does that sound familiar?" Dean asked.