thirty one

Harry

Christmas is always a happy time. I remember it from where I was a child. My mother cooked the best food that time of the year, we always had family members at our house, my grandma was singing a carol out of tune and my grandpa was the one to hype her up. I wished that one day I would do that with my own family. I wish that one day I would find a love like the my grandparents had. And I think I did.

It's the first Christmas I feel that happy. Don't get me wrong, I always am happy on Christmas but this year is different. I am with a woman that loves me as much as I love her, I have a daughter that I love to infinity and all of my family is here and they are happy for me.

I can feel someone trying to get on the bed. I open my eyes and I see Emma on our bed, standing up with Mr Bunny on her hands. "Daddy, Mummy, wake up. It's Christmas. Santa came." She starts jumping up and down on the bed.

Iris opens her eyes and tries to understand what is going on. She first watches her hyperactive daughter and then she sees me. She watches the clock I have on my bedside table and she sighs. "Emma, darling, it's 6 in the morning. Let's sleep a little longer." She tells and closes her eyes once again.

"No, mumma. I want to open my presents." She demands and I think that it is my time to speak.

"Little honey, let's sleep a little longer. And when we wake up, I'm going to make you eat your favorite breakfast." She debates in her head if she likes my idea or she should stick on her first plan. Eventually, she drops to the space between Iris and I.

She sleeps in a minute. I, on the other hand, just stay there caressing her hair and looking to my girls sleeping. They are so peaceful right now and all i can think about is cancelling my entire plan of the year. I want to cancel everything and stay here, in thia house with them. I don't want to wake up alone anymore, i don't want to sleep in an empty bed, i want to have a somehow normal life. Am i asking for too much?

It's actually only an hour later when Emma wakes up again. "Daddy, can we open the gifts now?"

"Yes, but let's wake mumma up." I tell her. "Be gentle with her."

She nods and then kisses her mum's cheek. "Wake up mumma, Santa came."

Iris opens her eyes and immediately smiles at our daughter's sweetness. "Give me a hug and then i will." She closes her eyes again and Emma hugs her without losing time.

"Hey, i feel left out over here." I say and i hug both of my girls. They laugh and embrace me to their hug. We stay like that for a little while and then Emma dexides that it's time to escape from our hug and start shouting that Santa came.

We walk out of the bedroom and we see that Tonya and Florence are already awake. "Ems, you have such a loud voice. You have to be an actress." Tonya says making Iris and I laugh while Emma doesn't understand what exactly is going on.

"Merry Christmas aunties." Emma says, not caring at all about what Tonya said to her.

"Merry Christmas, my sweet girl."

"Merry Christmas, Ems."

Tonya and Florence say together. They both hug Emma and the five of us go downstairs. My mother and Sophie have made breakfast and they are laughing while drinking coffee.

"Good morning, darlings. Merry Christmas." Sophie says first.

"Merry Christmas, loves." My mum says. We say merry Christmas to them and I think that this moment is what i was always asking for. A slow Christmas morning with my family. I wanted a big family and now i have it. I have more than one sisters, i have a woman by my side that i love and i have a daughter. I couldn't ask for more.