Chapter 1

Violet

"Can you help?" Oak groans. He carries two big crates in his arms. I stifle my laugh as I open the doors for him. Oak and I are opening the bakery alone today, since Brie has a busy day at school today.

She's preparing for her first law exam.

Oak drops the crates of dough onto the counter sighing. "That shits heavy."

"When my babies develop hearing in the womb, I'll chop your tongue off." His eyes widen as he stares at me. "Pregnancy has made you mean." He teases.

"Go start the pastries." I scold. He mumbles under his breath as he throws an apron on.

Today I'll work the register till I have to leave for my ultrasound appointment. My thirteen week scan. The doctor is just checking the basics.

"I made you a donut." Oak grins coming out of the back. "It has sprinkle, and strawberry's. Your favorite."

My eyes flicker to the pastry in his hands. My mouth instantly waters. I feel my eyes widen in a plea. He chuckles handing it over. "Thank you so much." My lips starch into a large smile.

My stomach rumbles as I eat the donut earning chuckles from oak.

The bell to the bakery doors ring signaling the first customer of the day. I set my donut plastering a smile on my face to greet our customers.

"Hi, what can I get you?" The elderly couple look at the pastries behind the glass. "Two muffins please."

I place both in a small treat bag handing it back to them. They smile sweetly, dropping a five dollar bill in the tips jar as they leave.

By the time lunch rush hits I'm exhausted. "Oak, imma head out Brie's on her way." I untie the apron from around my waist setting it on the counter.

"All right." Oak mumbles licking frosting off a cupcake. "We have to go shopping after your appointment." He reminds me. Brie, Oak, and I have dinner together every Friday.

"What're you making?" I ask, every week someone else cooks. He grins setting down the cupcake. "That thing you said you were craving. It had steak, potatoes and some other stuff. We'll go to target after your appointment."

"Target?" I perk up. Target's been my favorite store since high school.

"Yes," he chuckles. "Now go." He shoos me away. "You'll be late."

I grab all my belongings giving him a hug as I leave. My phone buzzes in my hand calling my attention.

B: I failed. V I failed that test so bad.

I feel a frown hit my face. Brie always underestimates herself.

I'm sure you did amazing. We're going to target later it'll take your mind off your impending scores.

I stuff my phone back in my bag after she wishes me good luck at my appointment.

My drive to the clinic is fairly quick. Anxiety swirls in my stomach as I sign the papers and get called in to the room.

"Violet, how are you?" My doctor greets.

"I've been good." I sigh, plopping myself onto the patient bed.

"Alright." He snaps on some gloves. "So based on your paper work, I see you're still a little underweight." My frown deepens. I've been trying and trying to gain weight but years in a toxic relationship ruined that for me.

"I'll put you on some new vitamins and see how it goes ok?" I simply nod as he pulls out the ultrasound machine. He smears the clear blue gel on my lower belly pressing the doppler into my stomach. Two small gray sacks appear on the screen.

All my attentions switch to the screen seeing how small the babies look. "They're too small." I frown. "I tried, I really did."

Dr. Willows looks over at me. "It'll be ok." He's been my gynecologist way before I fell pregnant and now he's my obstetrician. Along with my mother Dr. willows has been one of my biggest supporters.

He snaps a few pictures as he measures the babies. He checks both of their heartbeats before wiping my belly of the gel and turning off the machine.

"It's bad isn't it." I feel panic rise to my chest as he sighs, pushing his glasses up his nose.

"Here." He smiles placing both pictures in my palm. "Yes, they're a little small. But remember you're pregnant with twins." He emphasizes. "Your weight was low before you became pregnant so it will take some time to bring it up."

My babies are struggling to grow because of me? It's my fault my babies aren't growing the way they're supposed to. I'm their mother. My womb should be their safe space. And it's not. The one thing I'm supposed to do is be healthy so they can grow properly and I can't even do that. I failed. Just like he said I would.

A tear rolls down my cheek landing on the sonogram.

"Violet." He mutters, rolling his chair closer. "I don't want you to feel guilty. Yes, you and your babies are a little underweight, but we can fix that. It can be a simple fix." He sends me a reassuring smile. I wipe my tears off my face, taking a deep breath.

I'm going to get better. For my babies.

•••

"That's adorable." Brie coos looking at the sonogram. She smiles down at the pictures before handing them back.

"My turn." Oak says grabbing the pictures. "I still can't believe there's two."

"Me and you both." I laugh. I look at the pictures, a strange feeling pulls at my heart. What if they're both boys? What if everything about them reminds me about him. Am I a bad mom for wishing they'll be girls?

"V." Brie breaks me out of my thoughts. "Those babies will inherit every good thing about you. You'll raise them, and you'll love them with every bit of your heart."

I take a deep breath. She's right. These are my babies boys or not, I'll love every part of them.

"Alright!" Oak claps his hands together. "Let's go to target and cheer both of you up." He gives us each a hand pulling us off of the floor.