Chapter 39

Violet

"What are you doing Mija?" My mom's voice startles me. My hand flies to my chest as I slowly turn to the entrance of the kitchen.

She's standing there. Looking mad.

I offer a sheepish smile. "Hi mamá."

Her arms are crossed over her chest and she's leaning against the wall as she shakes her head. "Son las cuatro de la mañana!" She hisses.

My big smile did nothing to make her less mad unfortunately.

"The kitchen is a mess!" She pinches the bridge of her nose as she waves her other arm in the air pointing at the flour, eggs, and sugar coating our counters and floors.

"I'm going to clean I swear it mamá!"

She sighs frustratedly. "That's not the point Violeta. You're banging pots and pans together at four in the morning. You have to be at school in a few hours!"

"I'll have everything cleaned by then mamá I promise! I woke up early today so I could shower and get ready." I took extra precaution of wearing her apron even though it fits me a bit big. I knew baking was messy but I just didn't know how messy.

"Ok." She looks me up and down as if she's just now noticing I'm all ready for school. "Why are you up this early and why are you destroying my kitchen?"

"I'm making cupcakes." I mumble feeling my face flush. I found her recipe book in the cupboard. She owns a bakery and makes the best treats so I thought mine would come out amazing if I had followed her recipe. Obviously I was wrong since there's eggs and flour covering the counters.

"Ok." She says again. "Por qué?"

"Today's Aless's birthday." I mumble under my breath quickly focusing my eyes on the wall behind her.

"Speak up Mija." She raises a brow.

I bite my lip and take a deep breath. "Today is Aless's birthday." I say louder.

"Your math partner?" Mamá questions.

"He's my friend!" I huff. Aless was new to school this year. Technically so was I since I'm a freshman but he moved from another school during the first week and now it's the last week of school and he's became our friend.

"I'm trying to make him cupcakes because he says he doesn't see significance in his birthday, and I want him to because his birthday is special! He doesn't have a big sweet tooth but he once said that cheese cream frosting was good so I wanted to make him cupcakes that had that frosting. I also bought some candles for him so he can make a wish because at the very least he deserves to make a freaking wish on his birthday!"

I'm heaving after blurting everything to my mom who now looks stunned. I watch her gauging her reaction, "Sorry?"

I see her lips quirk up and her anger melt. "He's your friend?"

"Yes ma, I already said that." I mumble letting my eyes flicker away again.

"Let me help you make the cupcakes. You're cleaning the mess though." 

I gasp smiling big at her. "You'll help me?"

"Well I can't let your friend get brunt cupcakes can I?"

"No. No you cant." I shake my head and watch as she rolls up her sleeves.

True to her word she helped me bake the cupcakes and didn't make them for me. I can confidently say I officially know how to make amazing cupcakes. I just hope Aless loves them.