Chapter 20

The beginning of this chapter is for @_sunmoonstars. While writing this chapter I had your little comments left on previous chapters showing up and making me laugh and I think you'll enjoy how this chapter starts:)

-Alexx

~*~Acre's POV~*~

"Acre! Hi, Sweetie!" Mom exclaimed, hugging me tightly and kissing my head as she cried. Why is she crying? I thought she'd be happy to see me.

"Why are you crying?" I asked, wiping her eyes as she laughed and held my face in her tiny hands.

"I missed you so much, Honey, I'm just so happy." She squeezed me again, her head barely reaching my shoulders so she had to pull me down to her height. "How was Mae and Demi's? Did you do ok?"

"It was good. I feel different."

"It was a long time, is it a good different?"

"I think so," I answered, hugging Mom again just because I wanted to. "How long was I gone?"

"4 months, Baby, 4 very long months." She answered as the others all came in the door. "Atticus! Joey! Hi, Babies! Oh my- I missed you all so much."

Mom sobbed as she hugged them, dragging them both over and squeezing all three of us together. I could see Atticus's smile as he rubbed her shoulders, trying to calm her down.

"Mom, I was thinking a lot while I was with Demi and Mae," I looked over to them as they dropped our stuff at the door, smiling at me and nodding. This was harder than I thought. "I've been keeping a secret from you for a long time and I- well I don't want Dad to know yet... but um..."

"Take your time, Acre, it's ok." Mae whispered, rubbing my back as Mom looked up at me hopefully. I felt like a little kid again, looking up at the woman who raised me and telling her a secret I thought was huge. Of course those secrets were just about pranks I'd pull on everyone, and now I'm actually looking down instead of up, but it felt the same.

"Mama..." My voice cracked, my hands starting to shake as doubt and I think worry start to flood my system. "I've lied to you," My eyes began to water as she took my hands. "I let you think one thing when it wasn't true. I-I thought I could just live my life without telling you, without telling anyone, but..."

"What is it, Baby? You can tell me."

"Mama, I'm gay." There. I said it. "I'm gay. And I thought I'd never have to say it out loud to you but-" I couldn't help the tears pouring down my face. They just kept coming. "But I have two really, really amazing boyfriends and not seeing you for that long scared me. I was scared something would happen to you and I'd never get to tell you."

"Oh, Honey..." Mom smiled, pulling me back into a hug and letting me fall into her. I'd always been able to talk to her, knowing if I fell like this, she'd catch me. "You know I still love you. I'm sorry if I ever did anything to make you feel like I wouldn't, but thank you for trusting me enough to tell me this."

"You didn't do anything to make me think that, I just wasn't ready for this. But I am now, and I couldn't hide from you anymore."

"Who are your boyfriends, Sweetie? Do I know them?" She asked. I was about to tell her when I saw her eyes flicker to them, both standing with huge smiles on their faces.