Invitation

NuNew held his phone up to show his mom the email. While she carefully read the contents, NuNew tried to contain his excitement.

"Me, they want to audition me!?!? "Can I really do this? Wasn't this supposed to be a joke?"

His Mom looked up and fixed her son with an inquiring look. She must have seen something in her son's eyes because she gently took the phone from him and continued to read.

Pacing was something he did when he was excited, and by the time his mother finished reading and rereading the email, NuNew's face was red with exertion. She carefully put the phone down in front of her on the kitchen table and captured NuNew's gaze in her own. She glanced at the seat opposite her and NuNew obediently sat, hands twisting in his lap. Mom called out to Dad,

"Did you read it?"

NuNew heard the chair creak as his dad rose from his seat. The familiar slide of the slippers sounded ominous for the first time in his life.

"Do I really care this much?"

Not daring to look, NuNew heard his dad settle into his seat. He waited to hear the verdict, already bracing his heart for the no, he knew was coming. NuNew began picking at his thumb, unable to stop himself. He felt his mother's hand on his forearm and felt her reassuring squeeze.

"Don't pick"

Turning to her husband, she chided him knowing he was playing with the boy.

"Stop torturing the child. Look at him. He is going to pick himself raw."

NuNew heard a familiar chuckle and looked up. His Dad looking a little sheepish, beamed at his son. They were both smiling at him. With those embarrassing, I'm so proud of you. I can't possibly hold it in. Impossibly large and teethy, big fat grins. The one reserved for award ceremonies, or flawless report cards.

"What was happening right now?"

Four months ago, NuNew and his siblings, were shopping for a gift for their mother. As usual NuNew was animated as he shared his gift ideas with his oldest sister. NuNew glanced around at his family and caught his twin brother, Nova, rolling his eyes while sharing a glance with their youngest sister, who scowled back at him. No surprise there. Nova had no chance of gaining an ally there. The sisters adored New and we're always pinching his cheeks and ooing and awing over him. NuNew had that effect on everyone. Old, or young, male, or female. There was no one NuNew had not been able to conquer with his cheerful innocence, and impeccable manners.

Even when NuNew was naughty he had always gotten away with it. When chastised he would look so mournful. A few eyelash flutters, or heavens forbid a tear, and the offended became the offender. The next thing you would see was NuNew skipping through the house chewing on a Lolli. Complete with a sticky mouth and tear-stained face. Beaming, he would make his way to his twin, clutching a second sweetie in his moist little hand. He never forgot his Nova.

"Nova, what do you think we should get?"

Nova visibly sighed. He did not care in the least.

"All your ideas were good."

Flashing his brother, a big smile, NuNew put his arm around him and continued to listen to his sister's advice on gifts. Secretly nudging and poking his brother all the while.

A giddy NuNew stepped out of the store, carefully holding onto his mother's birthday gift. Followed by Nova who managed to look inconvenienced and bored at the same time. Excited to show his purchase to his sisters, NuNew immediately began looking up and down the crowded corridor. Nova spotted them first and pointed them out. They were two stores down. Following close behind Nova, NuNew was not prepared when Nova stopped abruptly. NuNew walked right into him, crushing the pretty package. A sad mewl escaped from NuNew as he stared down at his mother's gift. He was so distracted that he did not notice Nova was talking to someone. When he did, he tuned in to the conversation.