Beyond Reproach

The six friends sat at the long dinning table for lunch. It was Zee, Max, then Nat on one side, and NuNew, James and Net on the other. Zee caught New's attention from across the table.

"What should we do today?"

He lifted his glass and took a drink while waiting for NuNew to reply.

The boy boldly looked Zee in the eye.

"Today, I want you to teach me how to kiss."

Zee spat his water all over Max who was sitting next to him, talking to Nat.

"What the hell Zee?"

Trying not to laugh, NuNew started handing napkins across the table to Max who was unsuccessfully trying to soak up the mess. Wiping his mouth Zee threw New a quick look before turning to Max, apologizing profusely.

"I am so sorry. It was an accident. I am so sorry. Let me help."

Intercepting the napkins meant for Max, Zee wadded up a handful and began blotting Max's face. Blinking and trying to turn his head away, Max looked like he was being assaulted. He batted away the offending help and raised his hands out in front of him to block Zee. Rising from his seat, the soaked man backed away dramatically, hands still out. As if helpful friends would spring from their chairs and accost him with their paper weapons.

"I don't need help. Especially not from you."

He pointed with emphasis at Zee.

"You, have helped enough."

Turning on his heel, Max began walking to his room still talking.

"I swear you are the clumsiest guy I have ever met. How do you accidently spit water at someone. Look at me, I am soaked. Ahhh this is disgusting..."

The entire table burst out in laughter.

Lunch was over, and NuNew's question still hung in the air between the two men. NuNew could either let this drop or follow through. Whatever he was going to do, he had to decide now, or the decision would be made for him.

"I can't believe I blurted it out like that. What is wrong with me. He probably thinks I am some kind of horny kid, especially after last night. Oh, this is so embarrassing. Maybe I can pretend I was joking. Ha ha just kidding. Aren't I funny? Come on Charawin, grow up and finish what you started."

Taking Zee's hand NuNew pulled him outside and led him to their bench under the banyan tree. Zee did not say a word during the short walk to the tree, foretelling his state of mind.

"Zee?"

"Mmmm."

"Can we talk about the NC scene for the audition?"

"Are you worried about this?"

"Krup."

"Have I done anything to make you feel uncomfortable?"

"No! You have been wonderful. I..." "I have never kissed anyone before, and I don't want my first kiss to be at an audition. I will be doubly nervous and... I won't know what I am doing and I can't tell you any of this so..."

So, NuNew re-counted the conversation he had on the bus, and how he related to James and Net. Especially not wanting to go through the excruciating process of learning how to be intimate with each other in front of an audience. Zee remained stoic throughout and NuNew began to worry that he was asking for something wrong.

"If this makes you uncomfortable Zee, I completely respect that. I guess...I don't know what I am doing, and they made their practice seem so natural and easy. I thought since we are close..."