A Happy Fool

"He did what?", NuNew asked.

This was not what NuNew was expecting when Zee and Nova found him waiting outside. The topic should have been about his audition, instead, this. He looked at his brother who did not look the least bit apologetic or guilty.

NuNew felt apocalyptic as he stared up at his brother. Who clearly had no self-preservation skills and returned the look. Zee shifted from one foot to the other.

"I left my phone in the audition room. I'll be right back.", Zee said.

Flashing NuNew a big smile, he leaned over and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek.

"You were amazing."

He started walking backwards towards the front door of the building, not taking his eyes off NuNew.

"Don't move. I will be right back."

With one last gigantic toothy smile, Zee turned and ran into the building.

NuNew turned toward his brother.

"Are you hurt?", Nu asked.

Nova shrugged and shook his head.

"Talk!", NuNew said.

Nova shrugged again and said nothing.

"Spit it out.", NuNew said.

"Why was he there Char?", Nova asked.

"How would I know.", NuNew said.

"He was there to undermine you on one of the most important days in your career and nobody stopped him. Nobody!", Nova said.

Shaking with rage, Nova spat out that last word vehemently.

"And attacking him in the hallway outside the audition room was your solution?", NuNew asked?

Nova blinked a couple of times and some of the tension left his body.

"Oh, its dawning on you now, isn't it? How stupid what you did was. He could be calling the police right now. Or making a dramatic scene in the audition room where they are deciding if I should have the role. Nova! I can't look at you right now."

NuNew sat down and felt the weight of the world return to his shoulders. Five minutes ago, he was so sure he had the part. He owned it! He earned it. Now...

"Who would want me. I am not even an actor yet and I am already drama. I wouldn't hire me. Everything I worked so hard for... My head is killing me. I think I am going to throw up."

NuNew put his head between his legs and tried to slow his breathing. He felt pressure in his forehead and face from holding his head upside down, but he no longer wanted to throw up. The buzzing in his ears was soothing. It made the world seem so far away. That's good, he thought dreamily.

"NuNew? NuNew? When was the last time you ate? Char? NuNew!", Nova said.

He heard someone calling his name and tried to sit upright but he was so dizzy when he tried. It was better down here anyway hanging upside down, between his legs. Staring at an ant traversing between his feet.

"It's all alone. Is it lost? Like me? Me and the ant. I think I will stay here for a little bit. Just a little bit longer. I feel so... Bzzzzzzzzzzzz."

A steady beep was the first thing he heard.

"Nova, your alarm."

The darkness reclaimed him.

Someone was murmuring.

"What are they saying?"

"His blood work is showing his sugars are low, but not enough to cause him to pass out. He is dehydrated, but the IV will take care of that. His cortisol level is very high."