First Meeting IRL

Mark escorted a relieved, and bouncing NuNew from the audition and began showing him around Domundi. Mark had scheduled NuNew's audition the same day DMD was running a workshop. DMD used workshops to build skills, create chemistry, and try new things. After meeting some administrative staff, Mark told NuNew he could sit in and observe for the rest of the day.

Mark took NuNew to an acting class first. Mesmerized, NuNew recognized scenes from past series, and got sneak peeks at scripted scenes from future shows. His favorite skits to watch were exercises using improvisation because they looked fun, and everyone laughed a lot. During one of the breaks, NuNew heard someone singing vocal eases.

"Voice lessons. I like to sing. My sisters told me my voice was dreamy. Nova told me to get over myself, HA! Maybe I should have told Mark I can sing?"

This set off another flurry of bouncing and questions that he rapid fired at Mark. Mark was a terrific mentor and carefully answered NuNew's questions. He also made sure to introduce NuNew wherever they went. At first, NuNew was shy and did not say much. He was starstruck and intimidated by so many good-looking people. Mark noticed and encouraged NuNew to talk more. NuNew did his best to not stutter and speak confidently, but he was more than a little overwhelmed. Luckily, NuNew had Mark with him, and he soon discovered that everyone at DMD was friendly, and it was not long until NuNew was more at ease. He even met actors he recognized from the videos he watched when researching DMD.

The group he was most curious about were the new recruits. They were closer to his age, and if he passed his audition, he would join them. They called themselves the next generation.

"Will I be part of the next generation? Generation 2, Gen2. I like that. I like it a lot. Will these boys become my friends? Will they like me?"

He could not remember everyone's name, but a fair skinned boy named James. He was close in age and went out of his way to talk to him.

"I should find time to talk to him again. He may have friend potential. At least I can be more relaxed with him and speak freely. Almost everyone here is older than me and they are already teasing me."

Mark excused himself and left NuNew alone to watch some senior actors practice a scene from an up-and-coming series. It was a comical scene between two men who had just had a lovers spat. One man was trying to coax another into giving him a peck on the cheek, and his boyfriend was not having it. NuNew loved the performance and applauded enthusiastically, along with everyone else, when it was over. Too frightened to join anyone and network, NuNew used this time to scan the room for Zee. From the moment NuNew had stepped foot into DMD's facility, he had kept an eye out for Zee. So far, he had yet to see the handsome man.

"Where is he? Will I get to see him today? I can't ask Mark. He already knows I am a fan. So embarrassing. I don't want him to think I am only here to meet Zee and not serious about acting. I am serious. Even if Zee was not here, I would be serious."

Shaking off his Zee obsession, NuNew began to recall his audition. Which led to worrying over every detail. A bit disillusioned, NuNew thought about leaving. He could not bear to stay and see any more of this amazing place because his heart would break if he did not become a new member of DMD. Realizing he was in a tailspin to anxiety land, he decided to use a calming technique his mom had taught him. NuNew's mom was a believer in manifestation.

'If you want it, imagine it', Mom said.

So, when the next group of actors stood up and were given an improve scene, NuNew began a simple manifestation exercise his mother taught him.

The people and the room faded into the distance.

NuNew was in his kitchen, having dinner with his family. His cellphone rang, it was Mark. NuNew hesitated.