Not a Doormat

Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzztt. Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzzztt.

"Don't answer that, na." Net said.

Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzztt. Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzzztt.

"Give me that, na.'

Bzzzzzzzzz-

Net placed NuNew's phone in front of him face down. While Nat continued putting the finishing touches on NuNew's makeup. Doing his best to cover the signs of crying.

Suddenly, James burst through the door like a zephyr, making NuNew's script flutter on the table next to his bed. He had plastic bags filled with breakfast foods for them to share. The fair boy's face was set in a grimace as he cast his eyes about assessing the other men in the room. His glance stopped on NuNew who sat like a manikin while Nat dabbed here and there with a brush.

Searching for Net, their eyes met. Net shook his head and walked over to take the bags from James. As they walked across the room, he reached over and gave the younger boy's arm a squeeze. James blinked several times and roughly transferred food to bowls. Net put his arm around him and pulled him in for a quick hug, then took two bowls of Nam Tao Hoo and a plastic bag heavy with patongo and brought it over to Nat and Nu. Nat put down his brush.

"I think that is good for now. Let's eat. Then I will finish your lips."

Everyone stared at NuNew who did not move. Nat picked up a piece of patongo and offered it to NuNew. NuNew smiled absently and shook his head no. Everyone's eyes widened. No one had ever seen NuNew turn down a sweet. James took the bowl of soy milk and sat down next to his friend.

"Nong New, I walked all the way to the corner to get this especially for you. It was already so hot." James touched his fingers to his forehead. "Look, I am sweating."

NuNew looked at James, who was in fact red faced. Not from the heat, but because his blood was pressure was through the roof, but NuNew did not know that. New's plump bottom lip pushed out a little and he obediently took the bowl from his friend and began drinking from the bowl. Taking their cue from NuNew everyone began wolfing down their food.

The food did wonders for NuNew. Color returned to his cheek and his face became animated. With that rejuvenation came awareness of reality. NuNew asked, not for the first time that morning.

"What do I do?"

Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzztt. Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzzztt. Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzztt. Bzzzzzzzzzzztt Bzzzzzzzzzzztt.

Net frowned and turned the phone over.

"Is that him?", asked James.

"Yeah."

"Let me answer that."

James tried to grab the phone, but Net held it out of his reach. While the two friends were engaged in a hostile game of keep away, NuNew calmly took the phone from Net and answered.

"Hello krab," pause, "I am fine.", another pause, "Running late.", a long pause, "I will be busy today na, Sorry krab. I will let you know. Okay okay. Bye bye."

Nu calmly put his phone in front of him, face up. Everybody else in the room was still frozen in place, with anime eyes watching him.

"Are you going to finish my lips?"

"Oh yes. Yes."

Nat scrambled for Nu's lipbrush and lipstick. "Okay, hold still."

Three of the four friends were flopped on lounge chairs around the pool. Thus far, Net, James, and Nat had successfully provided a human shield around NuNew. This fierce forcefield had been able to keep everyone at bay, especially Park. Nat was currently out on reconnaissance. This had been instigated by James who was starting to get twitchy from NuNew's lack of action.