Chapter 24

A letter cradled in Delphina's talons comes to me at the kitchen window on my first day of freedom. By unfolding it, I see it is from Grenia.

Dear Mikah,

My magic professor was receptive to the questions about long distance teleportation. Here is what he said:

You are able to teleport to a country you have not been to before

You do need a grounding object to get to a country you have not been to before

Bewitched humans can die from the spell, not because the teleportation is too difficult, but because wands are cut from the same tree, because wands hold trauma there is a chance the trauma gets absorbed into the human body

To protect oneself from wand trauma, it is important to teleport with another individual, but four beings teleporting together to the same place/same time is the maximum amount

Hope this helps :)

Signed,

Grenia

P.S. My family sets passage for Sirens and Squids in two days! My wand extension is 8784.19

P.S.S Get a sexy wolf for me

I smile. The wisest thing now is to share the newfound knowledge with Tess, and wait for Leviys's response.

Ryder hands me a sheet of paper when I am through unlocking the compound door. My eyes skim it, finding it to be a lesson plan of sorts through our training today. He does not appear upset, so the reason for this might stem in logic after our agreement last session.

After warming our bodies, we put on vests and engage in a battle, crouching behind sizeable blocks, and firing when we think there's a chance to strike the other. I quite like snipering. Then we set aside the firearms and duel it out with technique: I wince when he elbows me, he grunts when I slam into him with full force. Technique goes on for a half hour, and he gives me a two minute break until it is time to incorporate magic. He says that Urisis is in control of a bubble spell back at the camp, so I can do my worst on him. I grin, but fiddle with my pockets to remove notes of spells written out. First, I thrust sand in eyes his, which do not sting him, and then make him trip. I vanish and rematerialize at his backside where I kick him hard. Our final fifteen minutes end quickly and it is no surprise I want to be with him afterward.

Ryder sprays himself with water, breathing deeply, then exhaling. It leads me to breathe too.

"May we...do you have time to talk?"

He gives me a look. "I shouldn't have been a dick to you. I'm sorry."

"Oh?"

"Do not talk to me that way, please. I like how you talk—how you demand attention." He smirks. "Do that."

"Did you see your tie? Your socks?"

"I did. Socks smelled damn good, like lavender."

I laugh, wondering if he is aware how simple it is to fold them in lavender sprig. "So I'm forgiven for making you think Damien had a bee sting?"

"Yes, let us never talk about it again; I received a huge round of taunting from my comrades."

"Damien is lucky to have your support. He is too obsessed with horses to think of it, but he will."

"Are you closer to your goal of teleporting?"

"Yes! I am so excited. It is not official yet, but I should be in the mountains by week's end." I nearly close my eyes, thinking about my lover, his confidence and long winded sentences. His wolf form.

"I'm glad you're getting what you want," Ryder says.

"We will be apart for quite some time."

"I understand," he shares. "Might I ask, what is it about this wolf? That gets under your skin?"

"Half wolf," I correct. He rolls his eyes. I continue my thought, "He is everything I didn't know I wanted, but meeting him at the ball...it is an energy I cannot put into words. You might not like sex talk, but I have to share. He satisfies me, and I miss the pleasure. A lot."

"Ah, yes. Let us stop there." His tone becomes gruff, the eye contact making me shiver internally.

"Is it off putting to you, my sexual nature?"

Ryder's eyes become hooded. "It is a sweet treasure. I imagine you are very loving, princess." When he tucks a tendril of hair behind my ear, I feel as if I cannot breathe, and he strides to the compound door, looking over his shoulder. Mouse like, I wave to him and crumble into a ball once he's gone.