Chapter 39

Ryder and I take in the marketplace located in bow one. What I love about this one is the stream of patrons, some squeezing the fruit for ripeness, some bragging with each other about the size and healthy color of the fish. Some mothers with babies saddled on their hips, some romantically available people, making eyes at the other by the bread cart, no one daring to talk so loudly. A few patrons bow to me as Ryder stands next to me, and I smile, a rehearsed one but it pleases them. Ryder locates the baking shelf, and I read the labels.

"You will bake muffins?" It may have come up in training once that those delicacies are my favorite.

"Scones," I say, noticing his apparel is his uniform.

"Ah, you're baking for your siblings."

"You know what Ryder, just stop being right, for one moment." I frown, realizing I forgot my knapsack.

He holds the dried vanilla plant I hand to him. "So how do you want me to be? Tip toeing around the subject or just going for it."

"My father is alright. For a week."

"Did he tell you how it happened?"

"Yes, a royal fairie fed him poisoned soup at an after party."

Ryder's face changes, considering. "Please do not tell other soldiers. You and I can speak of anything, but your knowledge is an honor not to be shared."

"I understand, Princess."

I pick out the whole grain flour and a shop keeper gestures for me to take the basket in her hand. I do, my mood worsening at her kindness.

"Ryder, I am giving a speech tomorrow morning. Bow three."

"You will bake and then write it. Ask the tutor for a second opinion." He suggests.

I sigh. "I have to receive my uncle's approval on it before it can be presented."

The look on his face causes hairs on my arm to stand. "No, you do not. There is no stipulation for how a princess addresses her people." We pause for a moment. "I will grab the blueberries," Ryder says, the first smile I get today.

When my trainer and I dismount our hover boards at the base camp, I do not let him leave until I share my gratitude for today.

"Of course." Ryder shrugs.

"We...I would love to reconnect with you. Share my adventure, what I learned in the Thewren mountains."

"I do not know where we stand with our training sessions," he says, escaping our eye contact.

"I do. Tomorrow night we start, but maybe not at the compound."

"Understood. My camp?"

"Yes. Have I lost our friendship?" Ryder hesitates.

"I thought the night at the tavern cemented our friendship," I add, drifting closer to him and grabbing his arm.

You confided in me, I almost state, but that is useless. My eyes must move him, for he says, "We are friends. It is my responsibility to protect you, and I enjoy spending time with you. I'll see you tomorrow, Mikah." His eyes are kind, but I...do not know what to expect of him.

In the kitchen, Winter munches on my scones and thankfully the smell of fresh baked goods draws Simmons and Tess out of their quarters. No one thanks me, which point taken, yet it still sings.

"Is the glaze yummy?" I ask my sister.

"Yess, so good." She drawls, clapping her hands together.

Tess quietly says she likes them and Simmons nods although he's picked at the scone on his red plate.

"Are we going to be a lot of mute thimbles or will we find common ground today?" I say, and scratch dough out from my fingernail.

Simmons answers, "There is no anger directed at you, your young highness. Just anger at the problem." I roll my eyes.

"Which one? Father's defunct legs or Damien's boyish resentment?"

Tess cradles her face with a palm and I am reminded of Soraya. "Damien had a lovely birthday celebration. He will forgive you. As with your father, Rebekah should not have left."

"My mother made the triumphant choice. I have no idea where she is, no way to know when or if she will wand us, but at least she is doing something." To be extra immature, I stride away from the kitchen and go upstairs. My writing has no fuel, no urgency like my drafting of letters, but I finally finish the speech.