Chapter 85

Atlice and other chosens bring in platters of breakfast. They explain it is not wise for the travelers to tread on the first floor since only one pantheon member approves of their stay. The other eight do not know. Bedivere spreads jam on a slice of bread, knowing Xirna and he will not stay another night if they are not chosen. They will be kicked onto the road.

One chosen introduces herself as "Goblin" which is her given name from the pantheons, she is Communis. The other chosen introduces herself as "Spider crab."

"Why are your names demeaning?" Xirna asks.

"They are not demeaning," Spider crab says. "Fairies have been compared to lizards and repetilia for quite some time, so the pantheon embraced the motif by putting us on the level of animals."

Goblin asserts that the comparisons began after the war with the sirens. "Their men are literal animals but we receive the slander."

"We are in the middle of unrest," Atlice says. "Kingdoms are no longer kind."

Bedivere's ears perk up. Talk of politics and he has not broached it.

"I did not sense unrest; the capitol seams peaceful."

"The capitol is at peace, but the pantheon's inclinations challenge it," Atlice says. "Please do not misquote me, I am an unfettered servant to Melisune, but the trapping of shifters is not something my peers and I take lightly."

"Are chosens the hunters?" Xirna asks.

"On occasion. But mainly it is fairies from Mongurd and they hand them off."

"They are punished not by their rulers, but from the alpha and alphaness," Bedivere says.

"Yes, per the treaty."

"What do the trappers want with the shifters?" Bedivere asks Atlice.

"Fur. Their blood, their fangs. Alchemists testing."

Bedivere pushes this information to the forefront of his mind. Alchemists as chosens. He knows alchemists mapped Aux Duvrex, but did not know they reside in the palace.

"It is best we return to our pantheon members," Goblin says and stands up. Spider crab and she escort themselves out and Atlice lingers.

"The Chimera festivity is tomorrow. Mingling at its highest. I will speak with Melisune and ask her to let the rest of her council know you are here."

"And when they know we are here?" Xirna raises.

"They will deem you worthy chosens or they will not."