Chapter 82

Once Bedivere finds a cottage he has not been to, he pulls on the bronze door knocker representing a bear and the sound alerts someone. This someone is a short, male fairie in an unbuttoned frock with pointy sleeves and corduroy pants. His hair is askew and his mustache is coming in nicely.

"You match the description," he says. "Come in Bedivere."

Distracted by the setting, Bedivere does not bother asking how the stranger knows his name, for Xirna makes her own friends as opposed to how she acted in Nirminda. While he turns a corner he notices Xirna standing in a model pose against a hanging backdrop with clouds. She smiles at Bedivere, flipping her hair.

"We are at work; you are invited to watch if you like," the stranger tells him. Bedivere absorbs the art supplies: an easel, thick paper on it, acrylic paints. He is in the middle of painting Xirna who wears a lovely two piece as white as snow, presumably belonging to the Princess. Aixx and Jordan participate in the experience by being a captive audience.

"Oh. This is a surprise."

His companion settles out of her pose. "Hi. I am to be featured too. Signmour is a prominent artist who knows art dealers in the capitol."

"Your lover is very enticing," Signmour tells Bedivere. "This is painting two out of a series of five."

"Mm hmm. How did this come about?"

"I was on the opposite side of Boardsboa, completely uninspired until I met my dear friend Wiser and she told me she spoke to a nymph. Nymphs are unique subjects, as you know, so I asked how to find her and viola, I have a musa now."

Xirna grins. "It is time for a break Signmour. I need a moment with my partner."

"Of course." The artist bows.

Xirna leads Bedivere to a different room in the cottage. "I understand this is shocking. But I hopped on the opportunity for its benefits. One, I am making money. Two, these portraits of me will sell and debut me to the capitol before we even step foot in the city."

"It is a wise idea. I wish you spoke to me about it sooner."

"Yes, I am sorry." It appears she makes her face apologetic.

"Are you certain about his credentials? That he is not tricking you?"

"He has a business card. I suppose I am taking a leap of faith."

"Yes, you are." He rubs the back of his neck. "I would love to spend time here and watch Signmour paint you. Is that permissible?"

"Absolutely." She smiles.

The male's talent is undeniable. Jordan makes colorful comments, boosting the nymph's confidence and Aiix becomes fascinated with the clothes. She claims the wardrobe is the prettiest she has seen while she fills Bedivere in about the first outfit Xirna donned.

The artist groans that his muscles are sore from his kneeling position, so he leaves the cottage, trusting the others in his space, and says he will collect berries.

"It is half finished," Bedivere notes, looking at the portrait on the easel.

"Yes, but he promised it will get done tonight."

"And there are three more to be done?" Xirna nods. "I am concerned about the timeline. The article is coming tomorrow and will be distributed beyond this village. It is already a motivation to bring us to the capitol. We are ready."

"I am not ready," the nymph argues. "It will be an honor to arrive as the singer's partner, but I want my own wealth. I want to be known.""I did not realize it was important for you. To be revered by poisonous leeches."

She sighs. "I think the paintings will help us. I am being paid 20 sheeves an hour, multiplied by 20 hours or so, and I will receive a five percent royalty for every painting sold."

Bedivere wants to be cross with her but holds himself back. "You know we are coming home. Sheeves are no good in Aux Duvrex, no one will translate it to digicoin. You know the gift is a means to an end, it saved my life, and I have no intention of carrying on a charade once the murderer who cursed my king is dead."

"I think we should discuss this later." She is right; Aixx has come to check on them and Signmour is bustling through the door.

Bedivere scoops a handful of berries and leaves.