Chapter 46 - you made eveyone proud

Carmeñ's pov:

A few days later it was game time again. We had beaten England loads of time and hopefully would again. But it was a home euros for them and we had no Lex so it could go either way.

I was dancing around with Leila trying to lighten the mood on the bus. No one was sad mainly nervous which was understandable. If we lost this game we would be going home. Of cause I was excited to go home and stay there longer than 5 days this time but I also wanted to win this tournament. Leila went to sit with Mapi and Lex and I wondered over to Ona. She was chatting with Aitana and Athena. I sat down next to her and joined in this conversation.

/'ha beat you'/ I said sticking my tongue out at the 2 girls opposite me.
/'no you cheated!'/ Tana said standing up. I quickly got up and ran up the bus. The first people I saw were Patri and Pina so I jumped on their laps.
/'Cucumber save me'/ I said and curled up onto a ball. They both laughed at me and I could here Tana coming so I sat up in the small space in between them. Opposite then was Mariona and Irene.
/'hi guys'/ I said and waved at them making them chuckle.

We got off the bus and had dropped our stuff off in the training room. We all walked outside to do the pitch inspection. I was walking with Lex when I saw Millie. I looked at lex.
/'go I'll see you later'/ she said and I ran at Millie. She held her arms out and I hugged her like a Koala.
'Tissiè I missed you hun' she said putting me down.
'I missed you to Mils' I said and she ruffled my hair as Leah walked over.
'Leah!' I said as she came over and put her arm round my shoulders.
'You alright kid' she said and I nodded.
'I heard that your captain' I said wiggling my eyebrows at her.
'Says you! You were captain the other day at 20' she said making me blush.
'Still well done' I said and she kissed the top of my head.

'G!' I shouted and hugged the girls I had gotten so close with in such a small amount of time. Since our holiday we had been texting and I considered her a close friend now.
'TISS' she said back and held me tightly. We chatted for a bit until I started to get worried that I hadn't seen the one girl I missed the most.
'Where's-' I started to say.
'Niamh is over their' G said pointing to where a group of girls were standing.
'Okay thanks G I'll see you later' I said and blew her a kiss before running off.

'CHARLIE!' I screamed and ran at the girl in front of me. She caught me and span me round before putting me down.
'BMW' she yelled back.
'Ha ha very funny' I said rolling my eyes but actually laughing.
'Well it is your laughing as well!'

We went back inside to get ready and we were now sitting in the changing room with 5 minutes until we needed to line up. I sat on the bench my legs bouncing up and down with excitement. I didn't really feel nervous. I never did. I had full confidence in the team around me. A felt an arm snake around my shoulders.
/'nervous?'/ Lex said and I relaxed into her.
/'never'/ I said making her laugh.
/'whatever happens I'm proud of you'/ she sand kissed the side of my head. We sat there in each other's presence until it was time to go.

I was starting today and Laia stood behind me her arms around my neck and I leaned back into her. She was humming a song i couldn't quite make out but it made me feel at ease.

We walked out of the tunnel game faces on. For 90 minutes or more we didn't know anyone from the other team. As I sang the national anthem a wave of pride swept over me. I was representing my country in my fort euros. This tournament had been a dream and it could all be lost in such a short space of time.

No ones's pov:

The whistle blew and whatever doubts slipped right out of Carmeñ's body. Whenever she played she cut off the stadium and solely focused on the match in front of her. She was a whole new person on the pitch.