49. wickery bridge

[𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐄]

As Matt Donovan sped through Wickery Bridge, trying to get home fast enough, Elena was on the phone to Stefan, asking him how everything was. The both of them completely dismissed the car in front of them until the last second.

"Matt, watch out!" Elena yelped, still on call with her boyfriend and alarming him that something was wrong.

Seconds later, an immense splash sounded as both of the cars crashed into the deep abyss of the still lake that was now ridged due to all of the impact it had received.

When Rebekah Mikaelson's car submerged in the lake — infamous for tragic crashes like these — she tried to barge the door open with her elbow, but her vampire strength came to no use as their car was lodged in between two rocks connected to the whole lake. They'd need someone from outside to come and pull out the car.

When Rebekah had given up and leaned back in her seat in defeat, she felt the water getting higher and became concerned for her best friend next to her. She'd die if they didn't get out of here.

"Rebekah!" Allison cried, trying to pull her head up to the roof of the car which had no water, yet. As the water rose even more, she choked, the water going through her throat, "Tell- tell my Mom an- and siblings that I love them." She tried to speak without letting the water in but failed as even more salty and contaminated water entered her system.

"No!" Rebekah disregarded, not wanting to leave her friend to die here. Not like this, "We're getting you out of here. If- if it's the last thing I do." She then also began choking on the water, turning around to see Allison now wheezing and struggling for air.

Elena Gilbert's eyes widened as her car door was being opened to reveal Stefan Salvatore trying to rescue her from the cruel water but instead of wanting to be saved, she disapprovingly shook her head and pointed to the Donovan boy in the driver's seat.

As much as Stefan didn't want to, he respected her choices and saved Matt first because if he didn't, he'd never hear the end of it from his girlfriend.

When he went away with Matt's unconscious body, Elena waited for him to return so that she could then tell him to save whoever was in the black car she'd spotted that was submerged deep in between two rocks.

Her selflessness was honoured when Stefan returned to Matt's car and tried to get her out of the car but was then again met with a disapproving shake of the head. The vampire furrowed just eyebrows, ignoring her motions as he went to pick her up for the second time. Elena shook her head once again, desperately pointing at the black SUV about ten metres away from them, indicating him to save whoever was in that car first.