63. portend

[𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄]

Without Klaus by their side anymore, the remaining Forbes' treaded deeper into the woods, following Theodore's scent, the scent of blood and something else that he just couldn't recognise: the scent of a dead body.

Thanks to Caroline's advanced hearing, she could hear some voices. Theodore would've been able to hear if they were a little closer but a werewolf's hearing isn't as strong as a vampire's.

"Wait, I can hear something." Caroline whispered, placing a hand in front of her brother to stop him.

"The herbs Lily is working on are for my spell to channel the blood moon."

Caroline's brows furrowed when she heard the familiar name, glancing over to her brother sceptically. Theodore looked at her with a confused expression on her face, "What?" He whispered.

"I don't think Beatrice is alone." Caroline whispered, fear swelling up inside of her.

"I always knew you were the smart one." Lily smirked, speeding behind them and pushing them forward until they reached Beatrice.

The siblings struggled in her strong grip, her having over seven hundred years on them. Lily looked up at Beatrice, asking if it was okay to release them. When Beatrice signalled a yes, she let them go.

As the siblings were released, they were about to go running to their sister, but that was until they spotted something next to them, something that they'd never wanted to see — their mother, dead.

"Mom!" Caroline cried out, her heart shattering at the sight, running over to her mother's corpse, Theodore right behind her with the same pained and broken expression on his face, realising that his sister and Klaus were right, realising the letter was right and their mother was gone.

From the opposite side of Caroline, he placed his fingers on her neck, trying to feel a pulse, his heart dropping further when he felt nothing but the coldness of her neck, "She has no pulse." His face fell and his shoulders slumped down defeatedly, a tear trickling down his face that he quickly wiped off.

Her pulse was the last bit of confirmation they needed to know if she was actually dead, and they had gotten it.

Caroline felt like sobbing, like breaking down in front of everyone, like screaming in Beatrice's face for what she did to her, but she couldn't.

She felt useless, just like Allison who was in the pentagram watching, believing that her eyes were deceiving her and that this was all a hallucination, that she'd finally spiralled into insanity.