70. the funeral

[𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘]

[𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘]

𝐀 𝐖𝐄𝐄𝐊 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄𝐑:

Christmas Eve.

A day of joy, a day of happiness, a day of family.

But not this time. No. This time, it was a day of sadness, a day of despair, a day of family.

Allison took a deep breath, looking at her broken reflection in the mirror and anxiously tucking a strand of hair — that had escaped her ponytail — behind her ear.

Tears welled in her eyes as she bit her bottom lip to stop herself from relentlessly sobbing. She had to stay strong. She had to; for her family.

Swallowing the bile in the back of her throat, she turned around, seeing her cat Liza walk up to her.

A weak smile fell on her lips as she knelt down and stroked her ginger fur. Liza purred at the soothing feeling, her eyes squinting shut.

Flashbacks to when her family visited her in the hospital after her car crash invaded her mind only making everything hurt even more.

She wanted to stay in her room for as long as she could because once she left and entered the church, everything would become real.

There'd be no escape but to accept that her mother was dead and wasn't coming back.

The door opened, interrupting her thoughts, "Allison." Klaus called, a frown on his face as he stood by the door in a black tux. Allison looked up in shock, slowly standing up.

After their fight last week, things hadn't been the same between them. They hasn't spoken at all.

One thing that was mutual between them — and something they didn't need to discuss to know — was that whatever was going on between them right now didn't matter because the only thing they needed to worry about was getting through this funeral.

"I'll be out in a minute." Allison replied in a bleak tone, her eyes training the ground and not once looking up to make eye contact with him.

To be honest, she didn't really know where they stood anymore. She didn't know if they were broken up, or on a break, but all she knew was that she needed some time alone.

Klaus didn't know either and he didn't want to mention it because he was afraid that it would lead to another fight that could just make everything potentially worse.