53. promise ring

[𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐘-𝐓𝐇𝐑𝐄𝐄]

When Lily re-entered the kitchen, Allison chased after her with a beaming smile on her face, "Great, you're back. I've been waiting to see what you got me!"

Lily returned the smile, for a second it felt real but then she remembered that she wouldn't fail her mother, not again, "I'm just as excited to give it to you!" She replied with the same energy, going into her purse and taking out a small necklace.

It had a dark silver chain, and in the middle of it held a chunky jewel the colour of obsidian and around it was a beautiful pattern to secure it.

"Wow, Lily. It's... it's beautiful." Allison complimented the piece of jewellery, holding it up. When she saw it there was a gnawing feeling in her chest but she pushed it away thinking it was nothing.

"My mother gave it to me. It's meant to protect the wearer or whatever. I don't really believe in that crap but apparently you have to wear it at all times for it to work." Lily said with a slight severity in her tone that made her brows furrow.

"I will." Allison chuckle-scoffed lightly as she put on the pendant. When it fell on her chest, she swore she felt a burning sensation. She brushed it off as excitement and thanked her friend once again.

It was now Caroline's turn to give the twins their presents and Allison's excitement only increased. Theo's brows furrowed, not paying attention to his sisters but instead to his girlfriend who shot her hand back after shaking hands with the Parker girl.

"I'm sorry, that was rude of me. I'm a slight germaphobe. I don't really like shaking hands with people I don't know."

Theo's eyes widened at his girlfriends lame excuse.

Germaphobe, really? Sounds like something Damon would say, he thought, internally scoffing.

His attention went back to his sisters when Caroline went behind the television in the joint living room and got out a bat.