Ten Shadows!

January, 2009 

New Years had passed by with calmer celebrations. Tsumiki and Megumi had done their best to stay up until midnight but had fallen asleep. Smiling, fairly tired yourself, you took a picture.

Satoru grinned, holding up a peace sign. Tsumiki had fallen asleep in his lap, and Megumi was resting against her. Their peaceful expressions, how deep asleep they were, everything just made you happy. And most of all, hopeful.

"Happy new year," you whispered, smiling at Satoru.

You were glad his sunglasses were off, or else you may have missed the loving look in his eyes, as a small smile graced his face.

"Happy new year, Y/N."

"OH MY GOD!" Satoru exclaimed as he opened the door.

Lifting your head up from the couch, where you were working on a report, you raised an eyebrow. "What? Did you lose the kids?"

"No!" He opened the door further, and Tsumiki came in, jumping excitedly.

You got up, walking over to them. "What's the deal?"

"Megumi, come on!" Tsumiki called out.

"No! You guys are making a big deal out of this!"

You shot Satoru a questioning look. "You won't believe this," he grinned, as excited as Tsumiki.

Sighing, you moved past them and went over to the door, to check on Megumi. Your eyes widened as you noticed what Satoru and Tsumiki were clearly very giddy about.

You were terrified.

Satoru noticed it in the way you froze up immediately. You had to remind yourself to seem calm and took his hand to bring him inside.

"I can bring the puppy, right?"

"Of course," you assured him. Quickly closing the door behind you once everyone was inside, you sighed. "Everyone go to the dinner table once you wash up. I'm calling a family meeting."

Satoru raised a brow at you as Megumi and Tsumiki went to the bathroom. Megumi had his dog sit, and it chose to come near you.

You bent down to run your hand through the dog's fur. It emitted cursed energy, since it was completely made up of it. Satoru squatted down to get to your level.

"What's wrong?" He pushed his glasses up, glancing at the dog and then at you.

"Nothing," you whispered, shaking your head. "I was just surprised."

"Toji was right," Satoru said.

"I wish he wasn't," you muttered. "The Zenin's aren't going to let this slide."

"And we're not gonna let him go," Satoru said firmly, scratching the dogs head. "They can't take him away. I've got it all under control."

Sighing, you nodded.

You were tired. An onslaught of missions every week, with high school work, with raising children wasn't very easy. Fighting off your family was now something that you didn't really want on your plate.

At the table, you sat opposite to the kids, next to Satoru. You, again, had a paper and pencil out to draw out explanations.

"So, developing your innate technique is a big thing," you explained. "How'd it happen?"

"During school," Megumi explained. "We were presenting a shadow play. I played the dog and during practice this never happened... but today it just appeared."

"Were you surprised?"

Megumi shrugged. "I mean Gojou and Yaga sensei explained the Zenin clan stuff... how if I have the special technique they value, I'd be sold for more. So I knew what it was. I think I hid it well."

"You're pretty late in developing your technique, honestly," Satoru said. "The Zenin's kind of just stopped being on our asses about taking you, since your cursed technique hadn't developed."

"But now that you've developed it, we're all going to be dealing with a lot. The Zenin's and developing your technique," you added. "Developing a passed on, important technique is tough on the user. But theoretically, it's a lot simpler than other techniques that haven't been used by people in the past. You don't have to learn everything about your technique on your own. You just have to grow into it."

Tsumiki tilted her head. "This is kind of confusing."

Megumi shook his head. "I get it."

"Okay," you said carefully. "So your technique is inherited from the Zenin clan. It's called the 'Ten Shadows Technique.' You were supposed to get two dogs, though, from what I've heard."

"I did," Megumi nodded, before clasping his hands together. Another dog, the black coated one, appeared.

Satoru gasped. "You're so skilled already Gumi!"

Tsumiki pouted. "I still can't see."

You raised an eyebrow at her. "I thought you could. What were you so excited for then?"

She shrugged. "Gojou was excited."

"They're just big dogs," Satoru explained, drawing them out so Tsumiki could have a visual. "Or wolves, I've heard. But they look like big dogs."

"Every ten shadows user gets these two dogs right away," you told Megumi, as the dogs accepted his petting happily. "They're very useful, and easy to use as a beginner. They're great trackers and can detect curses. For now, just form a close bond with them, treat them like normal dogs. Like most dogs, they're loyal to their owners."

Satoru reached out to ruffle Megumi's hair. "We're proud of you, kid."

"And we've got your back," you added, grinning.

Megumi nodded, looking down at his new dogs as he pushed off Satoru's hand from his head. He had to admit to himself, he was very nervous. This new found power was one he was hoping he wouldn't have... but he thought of the curses that used to fill their home, the ones that would crawl onto Tsumiki.

He could protect her if he owned this powerful technique. He would keep her safe from curses and the Zenin clan.

After all, he couldn't rely on you and Satoru forever.