Found Family!

The kids had woken up first.

And from the second you said good morning to them, you realized something was wrong.

They were getting ready on their own, for the most part, as they usually did. But when you were awake with them, they were usually more willing to let you help out, excitedly telling you about what they were expecting about this upcoming day at school.

But Megumi seemed grumpy. More grumpy than usual. He seemed to be flat out ignoring you, grabbing his food when you tried to help him put it away, or flinching away when you tried to help him tame his wild hair.

Tsumiki smiled politely when you offered to brush her hair, but declined.

Satoru got up later than he said he would. He shot you an apologetic look, but you didn't see, too focused on folding the blanket you'd slept with on the couch. He moved to whisper an apology, but Megumi came up to him and asked to open a container he was struggling with.

You looked over at Megumi, a little shocked that the boy chose to ask Satoru over you. It was a real reality hitter.

He heard you last night.

"Satoru," you whispered, once Megumi had walked away, muttering a quick 'thank you.' His head immediately turned towards you. "Come here a moment," you motioned him over near the door.

"What is it?"

"The kids heard."

Satoru's heart dropped. "Oh. That's why Megumi's being nice? To me?"

"You couldn't tell?"

"I did," he sighed, scratching the back of his neck. "I just didn't want to accept it."

You ran a hand over your face. "He hates me now. Oh my god..."

"He doesn't hate you"-

"I've spent months earning their trust," you huffed, pressing your hands against your eyes to keep back tears. "Nevermind." Taking a deep breath, and sighing, you brought your hands down. "I have to get to school."

"Okay," Satoru nodded, letting you walk away to get ready.

You were quick to grab your things after washing up lightly, still buttoning up your uniform as you left. Satoru sighed at the sound of you slamming the door closed.

"You guys," he called out to the kids, the second you were out. Tsumiki and Megumi didn't pause getting ready. "You guys!" He called out again, much more sternly.

They paused.

Megumi glared at Satoru. "No."

He deflated. Tsumiki, shaking her head, looked over at Satoru. "We're a lot. We want to give her space. I think it might help her."

"No, you guys," Satoru insisted. "Y/N loves you, I love you! I was in the wrong yesterday! I misunderstood and you can't blame her for that. I shouldn't have dragged you both into the conversation when I blew up because of my feelings. I felt useless and I felt like a burden to her, but I was putting words in her mouth about that and about you both. So don't punish her for something I said, for something I already made her feel bad about for no reason. Please?"

Megumi frowned. Tsumiki's hair covered her face. Satoru couldn't tell what the two were thinking.

"We're leaving," Megumi announced.

He walked towards the door, putting his shoes on, and glaring anytime Satoru tried to get a word out. Sometimes Satoru liked that the two kids were pretty much like adults - he found it easier to explain complicated feelings to them that way. But sometimes he hated how adult they were.

Especially, Megumi.

You bit your lip hard, unable to focus.

Yaga was explaining black flashes. It was an interesting topic, one that you were keen about learning, a skill that you wanted to be able to achieve. However, with everything weighing on your mind, you found it harder and harder to focus on the explanation. Both Nanami and Yaga could tell that you were struggling, but they continued on with learning and teaching the lesson.

You were thinking back on how indifferent the kids were towardsyou.

How that one fight completely ruined months of memories you had built with the kids, months of becoming one of the people that they trusted, after years of having every parental figure in their life leave them.

Your head fell down on your desk, and you sobbed, your shoulders shaking as your were unable to keep it back anymore.

Yaga gestured for Nanami to leave.

He pulled up a chair next to you, and pat your back lightly as you continued to be shaken by your cries, hiccupping loudly. Yaga had seen you cry before. In fact, he'd seen almost all of his students cry.

Ijichi, after his first mission.

Haibara, when Nanami had gotten injured on a mission because he was careless.

Nanami, when he believed he'd lost both you and Haibara.

You, when Haibara died.

Shoko, asleep in class, crying lightly as she called out for Suguru. She didn't know anyone knew about that though.

Satoru, when Suguru had left.

The only student he'd never seen cry was Suguru. But every night, Yaga kicked himself for not seeing the despair in his former students' eyes. It was his greatest regret. As a teacher and as a person.

As your cries eased, you seemed to get tired. Yaga spoke up. "What's wrong?"

You took a few seconds to answer. "My home." Yaga didn't say anything, waiting for you to continue. "They hate me."

"What happened?" He asked.

"Satoru and I fought last night," you huffed. "I don't know. I don't even remember what they overheard, but I know it was mean. I know they think I hate them, or something. Satoru's mad. Tsumiki and Megumi are mad. I feel like the past half of the year has been useless. Everything was for nothing. It's all going to be thrown away."

"Y/N..." Yaga hesitated. He didn't really know how to approach this. You were dealing with the terrible society of jujutsu while also having a small, happy family of your own. That was odd, out of place in your world. Many sorcerors Yaga knew barely became old enough to even consider having a family. And if they did get to that age, they completely disregarded the idea of having one.

Of all people, he never believed he'd see Gojo Satoru having a family.

Possibly you, but Yaga always told himself he'd do his best to keep you away from the Zenins from forcing your hand. You were too good of a sorcerer to waste your potential.

"You're strong," Yaga finally said. "You've been through a lot. More than the average sorcerer, I'd say. And yet still you put on a brave face for those around you, especially the kids. I think, if anyone understands the pain you've been though... and will most likely continue to go through, it's your family. But what's great about your little found family is that they all also understand that being together is what makes everything okay. That's what makes everything stop hurting sometimes. So even if they didn't understand right away... I'm sure once they think over it for a little while, they'll realize.

No matter what, I know you'll push through. And they'll be right by your side, too."