August ki woh shaam

As Sameer manoeuvred through the heavy traffic of weekday evening in Delhi, he cursed for the umpteenth time. Today was not the day to let his driver be on leave. But then, he wasn't aware his grandfather would drop such a bomb on him all of a sudden. Ever since their talk in the afternoon, he wanted to speak to his friend, Manoj, or Munna, as he was fondly called by everyone. Munna had suggested to meet at Connaught Place after work, and now Sameer was having a harrowing time looking for parking. Last two parking lots were full. The attendant had casually waved to move ahead along the circular road when he honked, adding fuel to his raging mind.

Muttering under his breath, Sameer slowed down behind a car at the third parking area entry, 'Agar yaha bhi jagah nahi mili toh aaj Munna ki khair nahi. Claridges ya Imperial mein jaane ki bajay yahan dhakke kha raha hun. Aur kisne kaha tha poori Dilli ko aaj hi CP aane ke liye. Ghar pe nahi baith sakte ek shaam. Jise dekho muh utha ke idhar hi chala aa raha hai. Saari parking full karke rakhi hain.'

Poor Munna was saved, at least momentarily, when the car ahead made way inside and Sameer found a vacant place just as he entered the vast parking area.

'Shukar hai restaurant parking ke ekdum saamne hai.' He locked his car, glancing at the flashing neon sign of the famous Chinese joint.

Running his fingers through his long silky locks, he briskly walked towards the restaurant, checking his phone for new mails. Just as he reached the entrance, a figure darted outside, bumped against his shoulder, and rushed across the pavement to the other side.

'Hey!' He screamed, bending down to pick the phone that fell from his hand.

When he looked behind, it was a girl, who did not even have the decency to stop and apologise. She hastily walked towards the parked cars.

'Sorry bolne ki manners bhi nahi hoti logon mein.' Turning his phone to look for any damages, which thankfully were not there, Sameer entered the restaurant.

Munna was seated at a corner table, his head lowered. As Sameer approached him, he noticed Munna had his laptop open and was reading something on screen, his brows furrowed.

Sameer settled on the opposite chair, 'Tujhe kya hua? Increment mil gaya kya jo extra kaam kar raha hai?'

Munna looked up, startled, 'Arey yaar tu kab aaya? Mujhe pata hi nahi chala.'

Shutting his laptop, he quickly pushed it aside and smiled at Sameer, 'Achha ye bata baat kya hai? Tere chehre pe barah kyon baje hain?'

Sameer rubbed his forehead, 'Yaar Munna dadaji ne aisa bomb phoda hai ki tu sunega toh tere bhi tote udd jayenge.'

Munna narrowed his eyes, a teasing smile on his face, 'Bomb? Dadaji shaadi kar rahe hain kya?'

'Haan.' Sameer scrunched his eyes shut and pressed his temples with his fists.

'Kyaa?' Munna screamed, his eyes rounded to the max.

Without looking up, Sameer uttered in a dejected voice, 'Woh bhi kuch hi mahino mein.'

'Da... Dadaji shaadi... iss umr mein... lekin kyon... kaise... kiske saath?' Munna tried to imagine the old man he had always regarded as his own grandfather dressed like a groom, sitting on a horseback in sherwani, his face covered with floral strings of sehra. The image made him gulp hard.

Sameer looked at him, 'Keh rahe the woh jaldi hi ladki dhoond lenge.'

'Hey Bhagwan, ladki? Ladki se shaadi karenge?' Munna was dumfounded.

It was Sameer's turn to be shocked, 'Kya bewakoof jaisi baat kar raha hai? Ladki se nahi to kya ladke se hogi meri shaadi?'

'Mera matlab... shaadi karni hai toh koi apni umr ki... dadi type...' Suddenly Sameer's words registered in Munna's brain and his eyes popped out, 'Teri shaadi? Lekin shaadi toh dadaji kar rahe hain.'