Bhabhi hai teri

Sameer opened the passenger door of his car and nudged Naina to get in. She lifted one foot but retreated as she realised her drenched state. When she looked down at her soaked clothes, Sameer could feel her hesitation.

'It's okay. Get in.' He urged.

Slowly, Naina slipped into the warm, comfortable seat. Sameer immediately shut her door and jogged to his side. He wanted to leave before Nakul could get to them again. Had it been only him, he would have definitely given a befitting reply to Nakul's offensive remarks. But he could understand Naina's reason to let the matter be, this being her place of work.

Settling into the driver seat, he glanced at her. She hadn't put on the seat belt.

'Naina, belt laga lo.' He instructed, keeping his voice low.

Without a word, she stretched the belt and tried to buckle it. When she appeared to be struggling with it for a while, Sameer noticed how her hands were trembling. Before he could offer to help though, she managed to click the buckle in its groove. Sameer glanced at her from head to toe. She was completely drenched. Her puffer jacket had probably protected her body but her hair, face and trousers were soaked. Clenching her hands together against her belly, she had pursed her lips hard yet he could see the slight tremor of her chin as she sat quietly, looking ahead.

He turned to grab his thick jacket from back seat and offered to her, 'Yeh le lo. Warna thand lag jayegi.'

Again, she silently grabbed the jacket and covered herself with it, like a blanket. Sameer switched on the heater before starting the car. No words were exchanged between them till they reached the building complex.

On the way, Sameer had only been thinking about Nakul's sheer audacity to not just behave in this manner with Naina but openly challenge their relationship. It clearly meant that he had been keeping an eye on Naina for much longer than she had thought. He was sure she had also come to the same realisation.

After the car came to a halt outside her building, Naina uttered in a soft voice, 'Thank you.'

He wanted to ask her a few things, but seeing her disturbed state, he merely nodded before picking his phone, 'Main Natasha ko neeche bula leta hun. She'll help you.'

'Nutty nahi hai.' Naina responded, looking up at the dark windows of her apartment, 'Flight pe gayi hai. Kal dopahar tak wapas ayegi.'

'Oh!' Sameer halted, then glanced at her with concern, 'Will you be fine?'

'Hmm.' She mumbled, but her tensed face, furrowed brows and nervous twisting of hands belied her claim.

She removed the jacket that she had carefully placed over herself, unclasped the belt and moved her hand to the door handle.

'Jacket pehen lo.' He stated, as he could see the plants swaying in strong breeze, 'Bahar hawa chal rahi hai.'

'Lekin...' She hesitated, '...tumhari expensive jacket geeli ho gayi toh kharab ho jayegi.'

'Sirf ek jacket hai Naina, kharab ho gayi toh phenk dena.' The words came out sharp. He was annoyed at her. Even at such a time, she had to single out their differences rather than thinking about herself.

She paused for a few seconds, as if contemplating, then wrapped the jacket around her shoulders and stepped out of the car. Instinctively, her gaze drifted to the road. She checked the surroundings, craning her neck to look in all directions. From inside, Sameer realised what she was doing. He had not thought of this possibility till now. Of course, Nakul could come here too. What if he got to know that Naina was alone at home.

Quickly, he alighted from the car and walked around with hasty steps, declaring in firm voice, 'Main tumhe ghar chod deta hun.'

'I'm... I'm okay. Tumne already kaafi help kar di hai. Ab main chali jaungi.' She insisted, but in reaction, she heard the beep of his car being locked.